Irish Bog Oak Triton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MarkD

MarkD

I recently participated in the Irish Bog Oak group buy.
This is the first of the blanks I have tried. I think I'll be turning more real soon!
I must say that it's a beautiful very dark brown ( almost black ) color.
The finish is CA.
C&C are welcome.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Your pen looks great! Finish is really good. Did you have to work at filling the grain and pores of the oak? I was wondering how coarse the grain is on this batch of Bog Oak, as compared to regular "unbog" oak?

MarkD

Your pen looks great! Finish is really good. Did you have to work at filling the grain and pores of the oak? I was wondering how coarse the grain is on this batch of Bog Oak, as compared to regular "unbog" oak?

I was initially a little concerned about the coarseness of the grain but the grain filled will real nice with medium CA.
I really didn't do anything special. I turned it, sanded with 320,400 and 600. I applied about 8-10 coats of medium ca. No accelerator, I didn't want any white spots from any thick CA spots. I let the CA dry a day and then hit it with Micromesh and polish. I didn't even feel the need to buff it.

OZturner

Mark, what a Spectacular Pen
The Irish Bog Oak, has a magnificent colour, so even, and with your Superb CA Finish, looks like it could be a Synthetic Man Made Blank, it is so Perfect.
Congratulations, on your Craftsmanship and on making the Front Page.
Outstanding.
Brian.

Top Bottom