Irish Bog Oak Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

Saturday I decided to finally clean and strighten out all my blanks and found 6 IBO blanks I forgot I had amoung many others.[:p]. I have always had a hard time getting a finish on open grained wood like IBO.
All comments welcome.............

2008513222025_1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Oh , you just had to go and show me THIS beautiful piece of art , DINTYA ? [:eek:)] That's really nice Roy ! UH , if you're not gonna USE anymore of that IBO , I'd gladly pay for shipping !!! [8D] Nice work !

keithkarl2007

great looking pen tell me whats the longest you need for a blank. I have 4 strips of bog oak 3/4 x 3/4 and want to cut them without wasting much of it

2008513224242_n%20001.jpg

They are a little shy of 20"

OKLAHOMAN

Jeff I get what your saying but in my never so humble opinion I think that 1500 year old IBO with its natural grain is the way to go, what I meant by having a hard time with a finish is my normal CA finish, the finish on this one is sanding sealer, the 6 coats of deft spray lacquer.I have used a grain fillers on bog oak before but not what your thinking/ I've taken black embossing powder and mixed a slurry and filled the grain and then MM'ed and to me the pen just looked like a nice black pen with-out the grain, I might try your clear grain filler so the grain shows but is filled. Thanks for the hint.

Originally posted by workinforwood

It's pretty interesting looking wood there Roy. I will suggest using a grain filler before finishing your pen. It's totally clear.

gatornick

I turn alot of Pecan which has open grain. I just keep putting thick coats of medium or think CA until the pores are filled. It works pretty good I think. With that nice IBO you definately want the pores to be noticeable. Filled with clear CA would give a nice subtle look I think. Good luck with the rest of them, the first one looks good already.

Russianwolf

Nice job Roy, I like it and IBO seems to be my specialty. At least that seems to be the one that I can't keep in my inventory.

Kieth, 5.5 to 6 inches is what you should shoot for. 5 inches is okay but is cutting it close on some types.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by keithkarl2007

great looking pen tell me whats the longest you need for a blank. I have 4 strips of bog oak 3/4 x 3/4 and want to cut them without wasting much of it

DO NOT CUT THEM TO BLANK SIZE! Cut the pieces as you need them. That will give you maximum usage and minimal waste.

sbell111

Originally posted by DCBluesman
Originally posted by keithkarl2007

DO NOT CUT THEM TO BLANK SIZE! Cut the pieces as you need them. That will give you maximum usage and minimal waste.
I agree with Lou.

Do not precut the blanks. As you make pens, cut each tube-length piece from the 'strip' as you need it. That way you'll not be throwing away the extra when you make each pen.

Regarding Roy's pen, I like the open grain.

Top Bottom