Irish Bog Oak piston filler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Twissy

Twissy

Seems ages since I've posted, so I thought I'd share this one with you :)

I've had the rough idea of this pen in my minds eye since I made my first custom pen......fortunately I was able to steer the customer in this direction!
I couldn't charge the customer of this commission by the hour, it would have to be by the day! That said I am over the moon with the way it came out.

The first pic shows all the parts.......I did remake the cap though as I wasn't happy with the first one.

IMG_1581.JPGIMG_1590x600.jpgIMG_1589x600.jpgIMG_1591x600.jpgIMG_1588x6.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I agree with Ed... "It didn't work out, how about some nice Zebrawood!!!)."

It's a keeper (or was).

Great job!

Timebandit

Beautiful pen John! Love what you did with the wood. Its subtle but still stands out as real wood! The only critique i can make would be the thickness of all of the bands. I count at least 4 different thickness. I just seems a little busy to me. Maybe 2 thicknesses. Larger ones on the cap and maybe the smaller ones on the barrel. Or maybe keep the thin ones on the cap and match the lower cap band to the upper cap band and keep the thin ones on the barrel, but also matched in thickness. Just to give it a bit more consistency. Love the pen though! Nice dark manly type of pen! I cant wait to be makin pens again.

Twissy

Thank you all for the kind words, they're greatly appreciated.:)

Beautiful pen John! Love what you did with the wood. Its subtle but still stands out as real wood! The only critique i can make would be the thickness of all of the bands. I count at least 4 different thickness. I just seems a little busy to me. Maybe 2 thicknesses. Larger ones on the cap and maybe the smaller ones on the barrel. Or maybe keep the thin ones on the cap and match the lower cap band to the upper cap band and keep the thin ones on the barrel, but also matched in thickness. Just to give it a bit more consistency. Love the pen though! Nice dark manly type of pen! I cant wait to be makin pens again.

You're bang on there Justin! That was my first thought once it was all assembled and I was examining it. During the making, function took over from aesthetics. I'd make a part and think I'd better have the silver a bit thicker there as I don't want any give in it. That's one of the downsides to not working from any plans! In hindsight I should have only used the two thicknesses, as at the top of the cap.
As Jonathan so kindly pointed out, this is my best work so far....so I've left some room to improve:biggrin:
Hope to see you making pens soon!
Cheers
John

Top Bottom