Introducing The Acropolis Collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Inspired by the Greek wild olive wood and the remains of the worlds most well-known hill, this is the first in a series...The Parthenon. Thanks to Mike and Sharran--they know what for.

2005330183433_scan0004.jpg

2005330183456_scan0005.jpg

2005330183519_scan0008.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcome. Thank you all for looking.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Lou, Beautiful work, which is of course no surprise. I have trouble naming my pens by the wood used, much less naming a collection. I eagerly await the next installmments.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thank you again for your comments and compliments. They are greatly appreciated.
I'll have to try that stuff, Mac! [8D]
Mike--I was tempted to lick that pen the entire time I was turning. EVOO, indeed! Now if I just had a little ouzo for after turning.
Actually, Anthony, it's where super-Mik resides. [:p]
Paul, this is a Baron (black ti finish). I had to notch the upper parts of the column for the clip.
Both Bill's - Miss Bossy Boots is responsible for the name (she knows who she is). There's likely to be a Parthenon and maybe a Temple of Athena. Greece opens up so many possibilities.
EDIT: Now you good folks know why I had to practice making beads last week. [8D]

rtgleck

Lou, What a great pen. I've always been fascinated by their architecture. I heard once that the reason the Columns bowed a little at the center was that the human eye would not accept something of the maginitude of those columns could remain straight under all that weight, thus they are bowed. True or not, makes you think. Great looking pen.

M

Mudder

WOW!

I want that pen!
Give it to me, Please? ol' buddy, ol' pal.

Lou,

I'm really impressed with that pen. I may have to <s>steal</s> borrow those lines for a pen of my own.

&lt;edit&gt; Had to go back and look at that one again. That is an heirloom if I ever saw one. I would call it a masterpiece.

Scott

Chuck C

What else can be said they are beautiful, a definite WOW. It certainly is understandable that those show woodturning, pens, wood selection, and just plain artistic talent, not to mention excellent picture quality.

woodscavenger

So give us the low down on the finish.I am sure I know a couple of the products but I would like to know how you finish something well with beads. I mainly use CA-BLO but more and more am realizing its limitations and I think beads are one of them. Could you fill me in..... BTW AWESOME!

Gregory Huey

Well Lou you just went and put the bar all the way out of sight. Maybe you could turn Martini stirers for a while and let some of us catch up. Now their is an idea (Olive wood Martini stirers) Nah I have to sample to much of the work.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Truthfully, I'm at a loss for words. I never thought I'd hear the words style, creative or artistic applied to my work. It's humbling to say the least. Thanks again to all who view and a special thanks to those who comment.

Ed--I'm considering that one, but a bit afraid that Jeff won't let me post it! [}:)]

Mudder--We'll talk. When's your birthday? [:D]

Shane--A little variation on my usual process here. This one has my home brew friction finish (Russ F's formula, less the beeswax)--two thin coats with MM8000 and MM12000 between. Then two thin coats or lacquer--again with MM8000 and MM12000 between. A final light touch of MM12000 and my standard top coat. I used a trick I stole from other turners on getting down into the beads...wadded up cotton cloth wrapped by a piece of linen. I used my new Mag-Eye (thanks, Ed D!) to make sure every surface was coated and that each coated surface was properly burnished. [8D]

By the way, you folks and the hundreds of others on the site are surely an inspiration. Your encouragement is magnificent and appreciated...more than you can know.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />

Mudder--We'll talk. When's your birthday? [:D]

My birthday is in <s>Jul</s> no, no, It's tomorrow. Really, I was born on April the 1st in a year that Kennedy was president.

Can I send you my address now?

Huh? Can I?

I can't decide if it looks better open or closed. Very hard to make a pen that looks that good both ways.

jdavis

Excellent Lou. Great grain, design, and finish. You are raising the bar again. Keep it up. The students are enjoying the blanks. Thanks again. In the process of getting pics to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom