Intrigue Lava Acrylic Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lhowell

lhowell

My wife approached me the other day and told me that one of her coworkers was going through a bit of a rough patch right now and wanted to know if I could make a pen as a little "thinking of you" gift. She told me her coworker had been eyeing the pen I had made for my wife's boss and if I could make one similar to that. Pulled out an old slimline kit (I hate these things) and let my wife pick out the color of acrylic she wanted. I did turn a slight ellipse in it to help with her coworker being able to grip the pen better. 8 coats of CA over it to help bring out the shine sanded with MM through 12,000 grit and hit with Meguiars Plast-X polishing compound.

-Sorry for the lighting. I was trying to use a bit of side lighting to get the depth of the acrylic to show through...Not the best photo setup yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3896.jpg
    IMG_3896.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lhowell

Looks pretty good. I don't really get the need to put CA over acrylic, though. I had someone else tell me they did that as well. My favorite aspect in using PR/Acrylic/etc. is not having to mess about with CA or other finishes.

Regards,
Michael

I'm typically the same way with acrylics except this type doesn't shine up real well unless you have a buffing wheel system which don't (not yet at least:biggrin:) That's the only reason I put the CA over it is to give it a good gloss. Otherwise, with my polishing compounds it comes out a little matte-ish looking.

mecompco

Ah, gotcha! I do notice the Tripoli and White Diamond on the buffer do a better job than spinning it up with Meguire's on a paper towel as I used to do.

Pat Keefe

I'm typically the same way with acrylics except this type doesn't shine up real well unless you have a buffing wheel system which don't (not yet at least:biggrin:) That's the only reason I put the CA over it is to give it a good gloss. Otherwise, with my polishing compounds it comes out a little matte-ish looking.[/QUOTE]

I use Ubeaut's EEE between the 12000 MM and the Meguiars, it brings the gloss level up. Beat's mucking around with CA, which use very infrequently due to it annoying the breathing parts of my body. Breathing is not an optional extra :wink:

lhowell

Ah, gotcha! I do notice the Tripoli and White Diamond on the buffer do a better job than spinning it up with Meguire's on a paper towel as I used to do.

Yeah a Beale's buffing system is next on my list to get!

Pat- Thanks! May have to try that until I get a buffing system setup! I've heard good things about EEE and yes, I have switched to a full respirator with chemical filter I wear when applying CA....I've just always been taught that for a good gloss and durable finish that CA was the way to go.

bpgoldo

The only thing more impressive than the depth and shine of your finish, is the act of heart and spirit you demonstrate for your wife and her friend. You bring generosity to your craft and hobby and that makes them all things of beauty.

lhowell

The only thing more impressive than the depth and shine of your finish, is the act of heart and spirit you demonstrate for your wife and her friend. You bring generosity to your craft and hobby and that makes them all things of beauty.

Thank you!

OZturner

Nice Pen, Lee
Great Finish,
For my taste, I would have preferred if you had done away with the Center Band, and the Waist Line.
But I am sure that Your Wife's Co-Worker was delighted.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom