intended for intermediate pen contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeL

MikeL

I self-eliminated myself from the intermediate pen contestsince I did not read the rules carefully until after I finished making the pen and posting it to facebook. Oops! :redface: Not supposed to post to any site until after the contest. I take great care on attention to details on pen making. Too bad I didn't apply the same practice when reading the contest rules. No big deal. I thought I would at least post it to IAP. It is a homemade cast using pine cones in alumilite clear on a Jr. Majestic. The colors turned out very bright (sapphire blue and pearl white). I still have time to maybe try another pen for the contest. Maybe this was just a dry run. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• JrMajesticPineCone4.jpg
    JrMajesticPineCone4.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 337
  • JrMajesticPineCone5.jpg
    JrMajesticPineCone5.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 229
  • JrMajesticPineCone6.jpg
    JrMajesticPineCone6.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 238
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Wow Mike, it's a beauty! I'm sorry it didn't work out for the contest, but you should definitely try and get another made before the deadline. You do awesome work!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Good job! And thanks for your honesty. You may not have been caught but once it is posted you can't "Unpost" it anymore than you can "Unrob" a bank by giving the money back. It was still posted and you corrected the mistake. It's members like you that make this a great place to hang out.

Love the Pen!!

MikeL

I was pretty pleased with how the pen turned out considering the pressure pot seal was not seated very well. The leak was so bad I could barely get 30 psi. I expected many bubbles but they were all on the extremities and was able to turn them down. Because of the expected failure, I was so pumped I put it on Facebook right away. Failure to read the rules in detail until afterwards is my fault and is really no big deal. If I was desperate to compete maybe I would have considered cheating. :wink: I was happy enough not to have a failure I guess it was a win anyway.

Thanks for the nice words.

Ambidex

I was pretty pleased with how the pen turned out considering the pressure pot seal was not seated very well. The leak was so bad I could barely get 30 psi. I expected many bubbles but they were all on the extremities and was able to turn them down. Because of the expected failure, I was so pumped I put it on Facebook right away. Failure to read the rules in detail until afterwards is my fault and is really no big deal. If I was desperate to compete maybe I would have considered cheating. :wink: I was happy enough not to have a failure I guess it was a win anyway.

Thanks for the nice words.

Class act

alphageek

Former Moderator
VERY beautiful pen. I'm glad you didn't think of cheating and hope you have time to make another pen of some kind for the contest. Just entering a contest is worth the fun and pressure of pushing yourself.

Nick

You did the write thing you know in your mind that you have created a beautiful pen and that the above posts admire your pen as well. Sounds like you still have time to enter a pen. Congrats on. Your fine pen..
Good luck

Dale Lynch

If a person is not honest with theirself,how can they be honest with anyone else.Honesty and integrity are pillars of a great human bieng.Way to be Mike.

Hurry up and make another pen 2nd place is still open.

Buzzzz4

I would have encouraged you to just pull the photo and still enter it in the contest.

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Kind of goes against your signature, doesn't it? He did the right thing and can still come out on top with another entry. Gorgeous pen, Mike. I am kind of partial to pinecones :)

Last edited:

edstreet

I would have encouraged you to just pull the photo and still enter it in the contest.

Because as long as you try and remove the evidence means you never committed the act in the first place right? I think your moral compass is broken.

No one ever once stopped to ask the question of how many saw the image, how long it was up and all of that. Was it a public posting? private viewing? It's all relative and nothing cut and dry until much more details is known what what was posted. If he felt he needed to not enter then go for it.

Also worth pointing out that some of the contest has different wording as for postings. For the one listed here we have the following.

4 - The pen must be made for the contest by the person entering the contest and not have been shown before Feb 1 2014 on IAP or any other site.

This means it can be shown AFTER Feb 1 2014 on IAP or other sites.

If it is determined that it has been, it will be disqualified and any prize won will be forfeited. Please do not post a photo of your entry ANYWHERE until the contest is over and the winners have been announced.

Interesting to note the Feb 1 shown date. This line is in direct conflict and makes you wonder why Feb 1 was mentioned in the first place. However this is not about what is wrote and more about my 'moral compass'.

"One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself."

From this I would have to ask, does this mean I can make accusations against you? Oh and in case anyone missed it the "" part was from a golden rule in the moral compass.

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Kind of goes against your signature, doesn't it? He did the right thing and can still come out on top with another entry. Gorgeous pen, Mike. I am kind of partial to pinecones :)

All better now?

ossaguy

Wow,that pen just takes your breath away!!!

Even though it was not entered,both you and the pen are winners!

Congats on such a beautiful pen.

Steve

tgsean

That is a great pen, its sad that you missed the opportunity to put it in for the competition. Well there is still time for another one

Top Bottom