Inspired Slimline ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Willee

Willee

Was surfing the net today and came across Russ Fairfields's web page.
I was inspired by his slimline designs and got the inspiration for this pen.
It is done in Laminated Pink Ivory with some simple groves cut and colored in before finishing.

Took about one hour after the tubes were glued in to get this finished.
Looking forward to taking this concept a bit farther in my next few pens by adding in some inlay work.
I dont think you really need any wood on the lower barrel just the nib alone would work.

Thank you Russ Fairfield for the inspiration.

Attachments

• rf1.jpg
    rf1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 269
  • rf2.jpg
    rf2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Willee

I like it, very well done. I need to grab some burn wire.

Steve, I have a pointed tool that I use to cut the groves then color them in with a fine point sharpie.
Seal the thing with CA, sand smooth. clean out the groves with a brush and finish.
The laminated wood being like dymondwood needs no finishing other than polishing.

bruce119

Very nicely done.

I like how you got the burn line to blend PERFECTLY at the center.

How did you achieve this. I am thinking squared the two ends butted them up then burned as on one piece.

Well done.

Lenny

I LIKE how you incorporated the grooves to help hide the transition between the two sections! When I first looked at it I thought it was one piece. Nicely done!

Willee

Very nicely done.

I like how you got the burn line to blend PERFECTLY at the center.

How did you achieve this. I am thinking squared the two ends butted them up then burned as on one piece.

Well done.

Thanks all for the replies.

This is a new (to me) concept in progress.

The pen was placed on the mandrel just as it would be assembled and turned as one piece.
The groves were cut with a tool then colored with a sharpie.

I think the next one will have just the nib to twist (no lower tube wood at all) and inlays where the center band would normally be.

PaulDoug

Nice work. I think this would be much easier to twist than one with just the nib to twist.

I know you said you used a tool to cut the grooves but as a suggestion for those that like to burn grooves, I have been using guitar strings for burning grooves. They are cheap and come in different sizes. The wrapped ones really burn nice grooves.

Top Bottom