Inspiration & imagination

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wood-of-1kind

Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-of-1kind

I've recently finished this business card holder for one of my southern friends. The design was inspired by Fangar and although it's not on par with his work I'm satisfied with the results. Not only will this compact unit hold business cards, it also comes with a built in clock that is easily removable when it's time to change the battery. The routed groove will also accomodate any sized pen. The quilted makore base was tripled seal with a BLO finish. Not a high gloss look but a velvety feel. Thanks for the inspiration James and for stimulating the imagination. Hope that the IAP members like it.
-Peter-
2006624194853_bc1.jpg

2006624194911_bc2.jpg

200662419509_bc4.jpg

2006624194936_bc3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Pretty good "North of the Border" work! I like it. The only think I might try to change is having the routed pen groove begin and end within the piece rather that exiting the piece. Since I don't really use a router much, I am sure that is rather picky!

angboy

Very nice, and I'm sure the lucky person who gets it will appreciate it! Is the pen also made out of makore so that they're a matching set, or was the pen used to show how that groove worked?

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Pretty good "North of the Border" work!

Cav, getting a compliment out of you is harder than pulling teeth.[;)]

Angela, the pen is made out of marblewood. It's not meant to be a matched set. The prospective owner is a penmaker of great talent and his work will grace the 'groove'. Thanks for chiming in.[:)]

-Peter-

guts

Pete,very nice set for sure but i gotta agree with cav.on the groove part that holds the pen,could that be to slide the pen out easier?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by guts
<br />Pete,very nice set for sure but i gotta agree with cav.on the groove part that holds the pen,could that be to slide the pen out easier?

Interesting thought, Bill.

Pulling teeth comes more natural to me than compliments, Peter! [:eek:)]

Dan

That's some nice work right there... that stop groove for the pen is a difficult move on any router table. Going for the full runout was a prudent move to avoid a burnt stop on the open end. Nice work - clean cuts and a nice finish! Anybody would be glad to have a base like that.

Dan
Unionville, VA

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by guts
<br />Pete,very nice set for sure but i gotta agree with cav.on the groove part that holds the pen,could that be to slide the pen out easier?

The groove was purposely 'overrun' towards the end to add further visual appeal to the design. Some may disagree with this approach and just to prove that I can stay between the edges, I did two(2) additional bases with the latter design. I'll post if you would like to see the results but I much prefer the initial design.
-Peter-[:)]

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by wdcav1952
[]\Pulling teeth comes more natural to me than compliments, Peter! [:eek:)]

Cav, you've just inspired me to design my next 'base' with teeth. Rats, I don't have any in my knick-knack collection. Can you spare a few? I really like the gold filled ones or those encrusted with diamonds.[:eek:)][:eek:)]

-Peter-

Fangar

Peter,

Excellent work! Glad to have stirred a little though process.

To others. I have done both designs in regards to the pen holders. To be honest, I like them both equally. They are both about the same to create on a nice router table, so it is not done to save any time or effort. There is only one more setup step to cutting the slot into the stock instead of to the edge. Presonally, on the type of set that Peter shows here, I like the slot to run out the end. Totally preference, but I like the way it joins the routed edge on the right.

My only recommendation for this one Peter, would have been to create an angled clock recess, to allow the clock face to be a little better angle while on the desk. Just a thought.

Thanks very much for sharing and the kind words of acknowledgement.

Fangar

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />
My only recommendation for this one Peter, would have been to create an angled clock recess, to allow the clock face to be a little better angle while on the desk. Just a thought.
Fangar
Thanks for the suggestion James. I will probably do a complete angle cut running the full face of the base in order to get the angled look on the clock. Willhave to angle the bc holder brass pins in a similar manner.

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by woodpens
<br />I like that a lot, Peter. I need something like that for my desk at work.
Your logo caught my eye. It looks a lot like mine.
woodlogo.gif

Very nice logo Jim. The maple Eurostyle pen in my logo is the very first pen that I turned. The local printer that printed my business cards suggested that it would be nice to include that particular 'pic' in the logo. Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom