inlayed kokopelli

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jssmith3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jssmith3

tn_P1000749.jpg

This is a ligero pen kit with Yew wood and a turquoise kokopelli (God of fertility if you didn't already know that :)

Billy babe, I did this one to make you feel better, SEE! its not painted, did that help?

Janet :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Thanks, Janet, I truly appreciate the thought, but it didn't really help. Thanks for trying though! [;)] I really like it. Did you have the kokopelli laser engraved, or did you do it another way?

On second thought, I may feel better about this one. At least this I might be able to accomplish.

jssmith3

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Thanks, Janet, I truly appreciate the thought, but it didn't really help. Thanks for trying though! [;)] I really like it. Did you have the kokopelli laser engraved, or did you do it another way?

On second thought, I may feel better about this one. At least this I might be able to accomplish.
Hi Bill, I did it by hand, free style using a dremel drill and dental bits, the kokopelli is very popular here in NM. Give it a try, I have faith in ya babe [;)]
Janet :)

jssmith3

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />Do you do the engraving after turning to final diameter or earlier in the process?
Hi Tip, in turn it almost to its final shape, sand it down to 400, apply a layer of BLO/CA, then carve you image out, inlay with whatever you are going to use but not to the top of the wood, secure with CA, sand it all again just to get the first layer of CA off the finish as you like. Oh, and do not use accelerant since it seems to cause bubbles in the inlay. If you do not put that layer of BLO/CA on before inlaying then sometimes some of the glue gets on the surrounding wood and will "stain" it and you will have to sand to much of the wood down to remove the discoloration. That is just how I do it, I am sure there are many different ways, this one just works for me. Give it a try and please post pictures if you do OK!
Janet ;)

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by jssmith3
<br />
tn_P1000749.jpg

This is a ligero pen kit with Yew wood and a turquoise kokopelli (God of fertility if you didn't already know that :)

Billy babe, I did this one to make you feel better, SEE! its not painted, did that help?

Janet [:D]

I thought kokopelli was a mischevious troublemaker. [:p] Nebber mind. Fertitility, same thing. [:0][;)]

jssmith3

I was about to say Frank, isn't that the same thing! Actually there is a lot of history behind the kokopelli and all I will tell you is that it was not the flute that was originally in his mouth, it is one of the surviving images from the acient Anasazi Indian mythology, and is a prominent figure in Hopi and Zuni legends. Any way ijts a popular image here in Albuquerque.
thanks for everyones nice compliments.
Janet ;)

GBusardo

Janet,
I am still working on my fit and finish as well as my CA finish. I don't want to get ahead of myself. I will get there though, just a matter of time.
Once again, BEAUTIFUL pen.
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom