Inlaid cross

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mike_in_Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am doing my first show in two weeks and since it is a church Christmas craft show I thought I'd make a few pens with an inlaid cross. Here is one of them:

2007112242937_IMG_1472sm2.jpg

Also my first attempt at photos - seems it is easier to make a pen then take a good photo of it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Making the inlay was really quite simple. After I drilled the blank, I placed it in my cross vise vice in my drill press. I used a 3/32" Dremel router bit to mill the cross all the way through to the hole in several passes. After gluing the tube in place, I filled the cross with aluminum filings and used thin CA to hold them in place. (I have since moved to using aluminum powder from CSUSA as it is more uniform but you have to glue in thin layers.) I then turned the pen normally. I have also used sawdust from bloodwood in maple or BOW with good results.

Mike

toolcrazy

Originally posted by Mike_in_Atlanta
<br />
Making the inlay was really quite simple. After I drilled the blank, I placed it in my cross vise vice in my drill press. I used a 3/32" Dremel router bit to mill the cross all the way through to the hole in several passes. After gluing the tube in place, I filled the cross with aluminum filings and used thin CA to hold them in place. (I have since moved to using aluminum powder from CSUSA as it is more uniform but you have to glue in thin layers.) I then turned the pen normally. I have also used sawdust from bloodwood in maple or BOW with good results.

Mike

Thanks for the info. Gonna have to try that.

I think what he means by cross vise is, a vise that has 2 handles to adjust or move the vise either x or y direction.
Like this one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32997

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom