Imperial/Lotus and help request

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

I wanted to show off this pen as well as make a request.
I ordered the kits while they were on close-out.

I drill the blanks for the kits - but unknowingly drilled one set too many.

This is beautiful Amboyna Burl and so I either need an Imperial/Lotus kit from someone who might have one or need to know if there are any other kits that I can use with these blanks that are already drilled and ready for Imperial/Lotus tubes.

Attachments

• AmboynaBurl-8202.jpg
    AmboynaBurl-8202.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 320
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turbowagon

I have a kit I've been saving that I'm not willing to let go! :devil:

But I'll take the blank off your hands. :wink:

Rum Pig

You can alway glue a plug in and re drill it to a kit that is close to the dimensions as long as there is enough meat left so the plug will not show.

OH that is a very nice pen well done:)

Ligget

Beautiful pen Martin, however, the pen is trying to compete with the background, a plainer background would show off the pen a lot better! Just my 2cents. :)

Pen&FishingCT

PenMan1

Beautiful pen Martin, however, the pen is trying to compete with the background, a plainer background would show off the pen a lot better! Just my 2cents. :)

I couldn't disagree more! The rocks lead you into the pen... Gives it almost a "zen" quality. The rocks made me keep looking at the pen a good 45 seconds longer than I would have otherwise. I studied the background as well... Is that cheap indoor/out door carpet? I think I will use this background. Looks like MONEY!

I'd love to hear wht the "pro" photographers have to say... I think this is one of the most tasteful photgraphs I have seen here in a while. The only change I would have made is to turn the cap about 10 degrees toward the camera...only to say... I have an IMP. Ha, ha ha, ha.

Last edited:

Toni

Beautiful Pen!! I have one Imperial as well, love it. Is the lotus the same as the imperial?

You can find them here. The price looks high but after currency conversion the price is about the same.

http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestore...front/view_by_category?category_id=1107136753
thank you for posting that link. one question for you, have you done business with them before? i want to order some of those but i'm sceptical about ordering stuff from another country.

As for ordering from the above link, I can let you know how it goes in a week:biggrin:

Mickey

You can find them here. The price looks high but after currency conversion the price is about the same.

http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestore...front/view_by_category?category_id=1107136753
thank you for posting that link. one question for you, have you done business with them before? i want to order some of those but i'm sceptical about ordering stuff from another country.

I haven't ordered from those folks but have ordered from others in Australia and everything has always gone smoothly. I'm always surprised at how fast things get here from there.

Mickey

workinforwood

It's beautiful. I have a couple of those laying around I've never used..some day I'll get to it. I have no idea what the drill sizes are. As I wild guess, I would test fit some churchill size tubes in the holes. If the lotus is a huge pen, then it's probably the same as the full size statesman and gent pens.

Another option is to spin the blanks round and then split them 2-4 times, depends on you, then you glue them to a set of Jr tubes and pour them and you will have a stripe pen. The splitting of the pen will reduce the inside diameter so that you can fit it to the smaller tubes.

MartinPens

Competition

Yeah, I've gotten a lot of comments about it competing too much with the rocks. Very true - but in that photo i was trying to show the similarities between turned Amboyna burl and the rocks themselves, so... mission accomplished. I will photograph the pen by itself soon as to highlight it.

Thanks for the 2 cents - with all the comments, I might be up to a dollar by now! : )

Martin

MartinPens

It's beautiful. I have a couple of those laying around I've never used..some day I'll get to it. I have no idea what the drill sizes are. As I wild guess, I would test fit some churchill size tubes in the holes. If the lotus is a huge pen, then it's probably the same as the full size statesman and gent pens.

Another option is to spin the blanks round and then split them 2-4 times, depends on you, then you glue them to a set of Jr tubes and pour them and you will have a stripe pen. The splitting of the pen will reduce the inside diameter so that you can fit it to the smaller tubes.

I have a couple sets on the way - but if I it hadn't worked out I would have sent you the blanks to see what in the heck you mean. Impressed by your work and I'm sure you would come up with a pretty cool work-around. Thanks

Martin

Top Bottom