Imperial in HRB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalepenkala

Dalepenkala

Well I decided to make this one for myself using my absolute favorite wood! HRB. I got a batch and just had to turn one! Its on the Imperial using the Dr's friction polish for pens. I want to see how long this polish keeps its sheen after it being used for a while.

This is the first time using this particular polish. I normally use CA on all my wood pens but wanted to be able to offer my customers a more natural wood pen. I do have to say that it does not have the high gloss that I like with CA, however this polish really makes the wood grain POP!

Comments good or bad is welcome.

Attachments

• Web_9941000.jpg
    Web_9941000.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 284
  • Web_9951000.jpg
    Web_9951000.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 217
  • Web_9971000.jpg
    Web_9971000.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 213
  • Web_9981000.jpg
    Web_9981000.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 232
  • Web_9991000.jpg
    Web_9991000.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 179
  • Web_10001000.jpg
    Web_10001000.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful pen Dale! The blank is awesome, and the finish is excellent. I use this most of the time, and as I do not like a CA finish.

Yes, many folks want the high sheen, but others will appreciate a more natural appearance. I have a few lousy (keeper) pens with this finish after 12 months. The have a nice matte finish. Just slightly less shiny as when done. A buff may help, but they actually look fine. Now... Your customers may want a better shine after a year, so the experiment will be well worth the time!

NIce meeting you at the Ohio Pen Show!

MikeL

HRB is one of my favorites as well. Hard to find that wood and when you do it is $$. You certainly did a great job on the wood and put it on a pen worthy of the wood. I've tried doctors also. It's definitely a different finish that will suit a different customer from the high gloss customer.

Dalepenkala

HRB is one of my favorites as well. Hard to find that wood and when you do it is $$. You certainly did a great job on the wood and put it on a pen worthy of the wood. I've tried doctors also. It's definitely a different finish that will suit a different customer from the high gloss customer.

Yes your right Mike! It's hard to find top notch stuff, and when you do it's expensive! I bought this from someone here on IAP. I don't remember who. Anyway I bought his last batch and I'm great full!

Oldredbeard

Dale that pen and the wood is awesome. I really like the finish, and want to know how it holds up with use. Congrats on some beautiful work sir.

Dalepenkala

Dale that pen and the wood is awesome. I really like the finish, and want to know how it holds up with use. Congrats on some beautiful work sir.

Thank you Tim! Yes I do too! That is why I decided to make this pen for myself to see how well the sheen holds up with normal use. I hope it holds up because I'd like to offer this finish as and option for toughs people that want the more natural look.

Top Bottom