Imperial dressed in Curly Mesquite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

BION, this was a Dario reject that he gave me on my visit last Christmas. Curly Mesquite w/just a touch of sapwood. You can see it in the cap just below the clip extending down to just a touch of it in the bottom barrel just below the CB. I've had this one done for awhile, but had to wait for the lacquer to cure (dipped, of course). And it was killing me! What you can't see in the photo is all of the striking colors and chatoyance that this blank has. It's truly amazing! Next time Dario offers up what he calls rejects, JUMP ON 'EM! ;)

200682901035_imperial22k_curly_mesquite.jpg

Okay, now that you've seen it, hammer away! Like many others, I've long been of the opinion that really figured woods detract from the elegant hardware of the higher end pens. I think this one has changed my mind, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on it before I go off the deep end on my first Lotus. I just wish you all could see it as I do.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Billy,

What were you thinking using a reject blank on an Imperial!!!! Since I feel responsible in a way...send it to me and I'll send you a replacement kit. [}:)] [:p]

Kidding aside, that is a wonderful pen and I believe it will even be prettier after a little while. [^]

emackrell

That beautiful wood looks like it deserves the nice kit. It all goes together wonderfully well. Super job!

cheers Eileen [8D]

Randy_

Of the three new high end kits, the Imperial is my favorite and you have done a nice job with it. I agree that you can go too far sometimes with the figured woods and the fancy kits. But not in this case!! You have a beautiful marriage of wood and hardware.....someone is going to be very proud to own that pen.

<b>Edited: To correct a brain fart??</b>

alamocdc

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Of the three new high end kits, the <b>Lotus</b> is my favorite and you have done a nice job with it. I agree that you can go too far sometimes with the figured woods and the fancy kits. But not in this case!! You have a beautiful marriage of wood and hardware.....someone is going to be very proud to own that pen.

First, thanks for the kind words, all!

Randy, [?][?] all my documentation says Imperial.[;)]

Rifleman1776

Billy B. said, "I've long been of the opinion that really figured woods detract from the elegant hardware of the higher end pens"
To which I reply: HUH?
The hardware is something we tolerate to put beautiful wood on in the process of making a hand crafted pen.

Dario

Frank,

LOL.

Everyone have their thing and there really is no right or wrong answer/approach. Whatever works for you.

I like figured woods and will continue using them but I also think that the best figured wood is not always the best choice for the high end kits.

My goal is to find the happy medium where they compliment and not compete....and it is not easy.

Randy_

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />.....Randy, [?][?] all my documentation says Imperial.[;)]

Yeah, mine too?? Brain fart[:I].....must have been brought on by the shock [:0]of seeing rain and the first sub 100° day in a long time. Dallas weather...you got to love it!!![:D][:D] Sorry for the misidentification. The <b>"IMPERIAL"</b> is definitely my favorite and to repeat myself, you have done the kit proud!!! [^] Unfortunately, it is a little beyond my budget so all I can do is look and drool!!

melogic

Billy,
Nice job on the pen and finish. I have not yet tried one of these kits but maybe before the end of the year. I think you did a fine job in combining this blank and kit.

punkinn

It's already been covered, but the wood and hardware here are a perfectly complimentary match. Not even a smidgen over the top. Excellent, classy work Billy. (I'd whistle if I could but I can't so I won't) [:D]

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom