Imperial BT with "Tiger" Padauk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaspar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

altaciii

I looked at all 162 photos you have on the link in your profile. I have to say that this pen is just another drop in a large bucket of very beautiful penwork. The finish on all your photos is magnificent. What do you use as a finish? Oh, and one other thing, what does the quote come from. Great work!!!!

Kaspar

Originally posted by altaciii

I looked at all 162 photos you have on the link in your profile. I have to say that this pen is just another drop in a large bucket of very beautiful penwork. The finish on all your photos is magnificent. What do you use as a finish? Oh, and one other thing, what does the quote come from. Great work!!!!

Thanks. It's a pity I had only a scanner to take picture with. I have a camera now, and I'm getting the hang of taking pen pictures.

The quote is the "life motto" of one of the most profound thinkers of the 20th Century, Eugene Rosenstock-Heussy. It starts with the Cartesian "Cogito, ergo sum" (I think, therefore I am), but then adds a very necessary corrective to the supposed scientific objectivity that results from it. The rest translates: I will be measured (tested), because I exist. I listen, that I may become. I respond, although I will be changed.

altaciii

I tried google and got the first part. I appreciate the translation of the rest. You still didn't answer the question about your finish on the pens..... Is it ca/blo or dipped or... How do you get it to shine so well?

Kaspar

Originally posted by altaciii... You still didn't answer the question about your finish on the pens..... Is it ca/blo or dipped or... How do you get it to shine so well?

CA finish. I wear a non-powdered, non-latex medical glove when doing this. Start with Berea's triple distilled thin, two coats. Then, with a fresh glove, add a layer of Grizzly's thick, spread evenly, and use a drop or two of thin to help, if needed. New glove again, I spray a little instacure on my fingertips, and rub it down to cure it quickly. Then I wet sand (don't need a glove here), using either 400 grit sandpaper or 1500 micromesh, depending on the situation. Sand it down to smooth (use a light touch, or you'll remove too much of it, and be back to bare wood, contrary to purpose. :D)

Lather, rinse, repeat. Usually two times will do it. Then run the micromesh grits, then Novus 2, then Ultragloss, then a couple of coats of Renaissance Wax (love that stuff!). Takes 30 minutes, at most.

It also helps to have a true variable speed lathe. Direct drive, no belt changing or anything. Even after I get a better lathe than my Grizzly POJ, I will always use it for the finish because of the control that gives me. The specs say 300-4750 RPM, but really you can slow it to about 100 RPM.

Good 'nuff?

Top Bottom