Imperial Blue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

This is another first pen from the elite line of pens that Craft Supply sells.

This is the Imperial, I like this pen a lot.

20061024173725_IMG_7196.jpg

20061024173750_IMG_7183.jpg

I chose a blue lapis Tru Stone for the body. This was very hard to turn, I resharpened my skew at least three times and rehoned the edge maybe 5-6 times per sharpening.

Again I like the pen, it has a nice balance and feel in the hardware, I like the frosted look as well on the hardware.

Again, an expensive kit but one I can see making a few times yet.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBone

Elegant was a good description and a great job matching the blank and the kit. The highlights on the kit really bring out the veins running through the Trustone. I like the frosted/satin look also.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jim,

Much better than the other kit, I think. Fortunately, this is also the one I bought a few of. Keep posting them, so I can see which material I like best, before I make mine!!![}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][;)][;)]

Nice pen, good job (this sentence inserted just to make Eagle happy!!)

But, it is a nice pen!

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Jim,

Much better than the other kit, I think. Fortunately, this is also the one I bought a few of. Keep posting them, so I can see which material I like best, before I make mine!!![}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][;)][;)]

Nice pen, good job (this sentence inserted just to make Eagle happy!!)

But, it is a nice pen!

Thanks Ed......I'll wait for Eagle..[:)]...he's always got good words that I respect, either way.

Yeah...I kind a did a bit of an air pump when I finished this one...The Lotus is too Bling...I'm glad I only bought two of them, but I know they will sell fine.

Thanks again Ed.....

txcwboy

Pen looks very nice. I have used TruStone several times and never found it that tough. Are you using high quality steel tools ?

Dave

Originally posted by txcwboy
<br />Pen looks very nice. I have used TruStone several times and never found it that tough. Are you using high quality steel tools ?

Dave

Thanks Dave,

This is not the first Tru Stone I have turned, but it is teh first Blue Lapis. It was REAL hard to turn. Considering I did it after a few red jasper's and a few blanco's I could tell for sure. I even took a different skew and weny with a heavier grind angle to try and get an edge that would last longer...all HSS tools in my shop...anyway, it took about an hour...wondering if it's the blue lapis or if some of the Tru Stone is just harder??

After I did the Blue Lapis I went to some acrylics and stabilized woods, they just flew!!!

Thanks for your kind words

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />Nice Jim,

I like working with Tru-stone.. it's hard to turn sometimes, but the results are for sure worth the trouble.

Thanks Chuck,

I appreciate your kind words. I am hooked on Tru Stone, I love teh heaviness and look, it's an awesome look on the right pen.

SteveRoberts

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />Hi,

I chose a blue lapis Tru Stone for the body. This was very hard to turn, I resharpened my skew at least three times and rehoned the edge maybe 5-6 times per sharpening.

I can't imagine turning a lapis with a skew only, I use my roughing gouge till I am just above the bushings, can do 3 or 4 before I have to reshapen. You have far more patience than I do.

Originally posted by SteveRoberts
<br />
Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />Hi,

I can't imagine turning a lapis with a skew only, I use my roughing gouge till I am just above the bushings, can do 3 or 4 before I have to reshapen. You have far more patience than I do.

Hi Steve,

I turned another blue lapis tonight and it was not as difficult...what can I say, that first one must have been Hard Boiled!!

[;)][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom