Imitation Damascus Steel. Polymer Clay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

Finished these two this morning. My Lumberjock's Buddy "Rockbuster", said to me one day that it would be fun to make a Damascus Steel Pen. We tried all sorts of ideas, but the only way to get anywhere near the Damascus look was to use Polymer clay. Apart from the real thing of course.

So I made the clay wraps and baked them onto the two tubes, then I applied a coat of thin CA and then cast them in Polyester Resin, and assembled them this morning.

The first three photos are one Sierra and the second three are also a Sierra but an Australian Executive. Note the Kangaroos on the centre band.

Sadly I did not see the dust on the pens before I took the photographs:frown:.

Hope you like them and thanks for looking.
C & C welcome.

Bob.

PS. Sadly Rockbuster has been fighting Cancer for the last couple of years and has finally gone into Hospice at the Hospital. The Cancer has spread to his brain. It's a bad day.:crying:

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 243
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 202
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 186
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Bob

This is some extreme sad news I have known Don for some time through that site and we communicated all the time. He told me many times how he wished me well so that I could get back to making things in my shop because he loved what I did. I followed his work as well. I was checking his candy jar project just the other day. Talk about your good guys. Oh man this is truely a sad day. May the Good Lord be with him. Wow how we overlook the little things. Man life is too short.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Cheers Mate!

I have turned some M3 Damascus and I will say that your grain patterns in the clay are mighty, mighty close! Side-by-side would be an interesting comparison. Exceptional work. :)

My thoughts are also for "Rockbuster." I have been a "Vigil" volunteer with the local hospice (5-6 yrs ago), so I realize that he is in a good place. Bob, your rapport with him was time well spent time. Penturning/woodturning has brought many friends to me...

Thanks for posting Bob!

Be well. M

jttheclockman

Bob I am sorry I should have also commented on your pen. You did a great job with it and the resemblance is definitely there. I am sure the pen will have a special meaning to you. Thanks for showing and the info.

Sappheiros

That's a neat looking pen! :)

My thoughts go towards him and his family. As someone who works in hospice, I know it is an often stigmatized service. I'm glad he can benefit from it. I know he'll be kept comfortable.

Top Bottom