I'm in love (Don's snakeskin blanks)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skeels

Skeels

I'm pickin it apart first lol. Fit isn't the best and yes... The scale orientation is backwards. Unfortunately the real blank was a little light on resin for the "correct side" to be at the center band. All in all I think it turned out pretty well and may turn into my carry pen. I did learn a couple things while turning these blanks. The resin used def needs sharp tools. I thought mine were sharp... Not sharp enough. Also, very light cuts. And most inportantly... I love turning this stuff and will be gettin not only more blanks from Don but will also be getting the same reain he uses (if he'll give that info up). This stuff shines awesome. Enough with the chitter chatter and here she is. A pen I'm pretty pleased with. And thanks for the great blanks Don, well be in touch for some more here soon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 303
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Looks Good JR.
I could only get a sneak peek, as I kept falling off my chair, when I laid my head on the side to view it/:biggrin::wink:
Excellent Finish,
Congratulations,
Brian.

Skeels

Looks Good JR.
I could only get a sneak peek, as I kept falling off my chair, when I laid my head on the side to view it/:biggrin::wink:
Excellent Finish,
Congratulations,
Brian.

Lol, I don't know why it does that for my pics. I've posted a couple that's it turned them sideways... Not sure why cause they're right side up when I upload them. Maybe if u turn your monitor on it's side next time it won't be sideways lol. Just don't try to read anything, might fall asleep again:)

Skeels

Wow you have really brought out the beauty in that blank.

Oh no, I can't take that credit. All I did was turn and polish it, anyone can do that. The true beauty came from Don (its_virgil) that man knows how to make some snakeskin blanks. I showed this pen to a bunch of guys at work, loved it til they heard the price... Oh well. Things georgous. I got an order do one but the customer can't decide on pen style... So I'll be gettin at least one more from him. Great price as well. Can't beat the price, especially for the quality work that he does!

Kenny Durrant

Nice Pen and Don does a great job building blanks and pens. He is very free with his process in doing both. He has artices and a book explaning them. You mentioned the resin was thin at the center band. You couldn't turn the other blank around so the scales are going in the same direction or had you already started turning?

its_virgil

I don't know why one of them was a bit shy of the center band. I used molds for the cigar pen. I've been using these same molds for a few years now. My only thought is I may have failed to fill the cavity completely but I usually pour too much and run it over the top.

As I told you, let me know if you need a refund.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Skeels

I don't know why one of them was a bit shy of the center band. I used molds for the cigar pen. I've been using these same molds for a few years now. My only thought is I may have failed to fill the cavity completely but I usually pour too much and run it over the top.

As I told you, let me know if you need a refund.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

No refund nessecary! Like I said, u do a wonderful job and this turne out great. Did u get my on for a Sierra blank?

Top Bottom