I'm finally turning again.........give me some cri

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodscavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I finally moved my family from North Carolina to Boise Idaho. I love the dry desert! It took a while but I finally arranged my tools in my garage and finally turned a couple of pens. I have wanted to do some pens like this for a while. I have been bored with my typical assortment. Let me know what you think.

Here is the group:

DSC02948.jpg

Pen 1:
A closed end Baron RB. Woods include amboyna burl, afzelia burl, curly mahogany (didn't end up being very curly:(), canary wood, and black maple veneer.
DSC02950.jpg

DSC02951.jpg

Pen 2:
Baron RB for my wife with not so curly maple, bocote, and black maple veneers.

DSC02953.jpg

Ring Holder:
I made this for my wife for our 12th anniversary. It was quick and simple and made a great impression. I noticed she always takes her ring off near the sink at night so it is great for her. It is from briar stem burl, african blackwood, and BOW.

F64.jpg

JimGo

Shane, how can you even post such junk? I'll tell ya what...you turn a few more like these (you obviously need the practice) and send them all to me (except the ring holder - that's too sentimental to send). I'll keep them out of your line of sight, this way you won't get too frustrated having to look at them day in and day out.

No need to write a big efusive thank you to me...this selflessness is just part of who I am - selfless, and humble.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Excellent execution, the scallops have a "Gisi" flavor.
I like the Bocote maple one though I would like to see it with the gold CB omitted.
icon_thumbs.gif

angboy

Very nice pens! I really like the pattern on the closed end baron but prefer the colors on the other baron. Now as for the ring holder-it looks great too- I have a line of pens I think it would fit right in with! [}:)][}:)]

alparent

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />I have been bored with my typical assortment.

Definitely not boring and definitely not typical. WOW!

The only drawback of posting great work like that is that now you will have to post some instructions on how you achieved those beauties, so new guys like me can learn and try.

Thumbs

Shane, may I add my congratulations? Superb workmanship and design! I am not overly fond of glue ups and segmented pens because the beauty and character of the woods usually become lost in the "flair" of the design and becomes less significant than the cutting, gluing, and "show off my skill" aspect. Your designs leave the beauty of the wood intact and show off your assembly skills and attention to detail. Thanks for showing and sharing.

Plainly speaking, "Beautifully done!"

PenWorks

Nice stuff there Shane, glad to see you back and turning.
That sounds like a pretty big move for the family, hope every gets settled in.

gerryr

Fabulous work.[:p] The closed end Baron is really gorgeous, but the other one is also stunning. And, welcome to the West. It will just a "short" drive to Provo for the Penturners Rendesvous next year.

its_virgil

Welcome back Shane and glad you are settled and turning again so we can see the great pens you've made. Curly or not, they are stunning pens and the segmentations are very well done.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Fabulous work.[:p] The closed end Baron is really gorgeous, but the other one is also stunning. And, welcome to the West. It will just a "short" drive to Provo for the Penturners Rendesvous next year.

woodscavenger

The closed end blank was drilled a little off-center but not too bad. I would also like to leave off the Baron CB but have not found a great way to do that. Any tips out there. Also I forgot the maple veneer between the bocote scallops. Oh well.

vick

Originally posted by woodscavenger
[br I would also like to leave off the Baron CB but have not found a great way to do that.

Beautiful work. To leave the centerband off on a Baron is pretty simple.

Method 1 - chuck the part with the trim ring in a collet chuck and turn off the trim ring till it is down to the inside diameter of the tube. Be carefull because you are taking about 1/8th of cap length.

Method 2 - To make it a little prettier so you can not see the tube give your self a little clearance between the tube and the end of the cap ( = to the size of the trim ring). Then turn the trim ring to the ID of the drilled hole. When you press it in the tube will not be visible when you look in the cap.

Scott

Hi Shane,

I think the move to Boise did you good! Of course some of the best penturners are from Idaho! [8D]

These are amazing pens! Very, very nice work on those segments! You've got a style there that is just very attractive! Excellent!

Scott.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Beautiful pens!!!!

Realize that I don't do glue-ups. But for those calling for a tutorial, I will guess that the straight line inserts are done by cutting the blank in half and inserting a veneer, wood, veneer sandwich.

The semi-circles are far more challenging. But, I would guess the blank is run through a router with a semicircle bit, then the insert is run with the corresponding arc, creating matching pieces.

Shane, this is in no way an attempt to minimize your work. Just seems to me that anyone that wants to do the same thing should be able to figure out a method that "works for them!!!"

No offense meant to ANYONE. Try it YOUR way, it may be a BETTER way!!!

If not, see my signature line![:)][:)][:)]

Kaspar

I agree. We should be like the Jedi Knights, and, to an extent, build our own lightsabres. (This monthly fanboy moment has been brought to you by Geeks-R-Us. I will now return to my previously scheduled suave Renaissance manhood.)

gerryr

I too agree and I would also offer that these techniques have already been well covered in other tutorials. What really counts is what you do with the knowledge that's already out there. What Shane did was impeccable workmanship and a beautiful choice of wood.

vick

Originally posted by ed4copies

The semi-circles are far more challenging. But, I would guess the blank is run through a router with a semicircle bit, then the insert is run with the corresponding arc, creating matching pieces.

Actually it is a lot easier than that
http://www.distinctiveturnings.com/tutorials/Gisi.pdf

You just cut angled pieces and the turning process make them rounded (see tutorial). These are special because of the execution and choice of materials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom