I'm finally brave enough to show some of my pens...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from putnamm

putnamm

After dozens of kits (and hundreds of dollars), I finally arrived at a few pens that I'm pleased enough with to show everyone. I'd also welcome any suggestions for improvement on these. I tend to be my own worst critic, but all recommendations are welcome.

-Lever Action Tek pen in green acrylic
-Revolver in walnut burl
-Navigator rollerball in cocobolo

-Mark

Attachments

• 20160206_120344.jpg
    20160206_120344.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 358
  • 20160206_205723.jpg
    20160206_205723.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 419
  • 20160207_173212.jpg
    20160207_173212.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 376
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

They all look great Mark !! I don't see where you need any improvement, it's now time to step up to the next level. Segmenting, kit less, etc. Jim S

Woodguy95

Those are perfect. Do you finish them with ca. If yes as you know it's a hard finish to master and yours looks perfect.

putnamm

Those are perfect. Do you finish them with ca. If yes as you know it's a hard finish to master and yours looks perfect.

Wow. Thank you! :) I labored over my finishing technique until I arrived at something I'm pleased with. So your compliment means a lot.

All of my finishing is done at the lowest speed, which on my lathe is about 800 RPM.

For woods, I sand to 400 grit. With each grit I turn off the lathe and cross-sand the blank before proceeding to the next grit. I actually have a drafter's lamp (circular flourescent bulb) with a giant magnifying glass hanging over my workbench. So in between grits I look at the blank under this magnifier and try to see any scratches. Once the sanding is done, I use CA glue. I do one quick coat of thin CA just to fill any gaps and smooth out the blank. Then I do five coats of medium CA plus activator. Once these are dry, I use the Micro Mesh system and wet sand the blank. (Again, I cross-sand with each grit with the lathe off.) By the time I'm done with the Micro Mesh, the blank is pretty shiny and smooth. I finish off with a coat of Renaissance Wax that I buff to a high shine.

For acrylics, I get the blank turned to shape then turn the speed down low. I wet sand with the normal grits (wet sandpaper) up to 400. And then I wet sand with the Micro Mesh. And finally I apply some Renaissance Wax. I have experimented with Maguiar's, but for some reason it doesn't turn out as well.

Marko50

Fantastico!!

I love all of them, but my favorite is the third one, left to right. All Gorgeous! Great job!! A+++++:)

Top Bottom