Ah well, life goes on. This is what I made BEFORE I couldn't get the chuck off;
Marblewood Barron

Attachments

• Marblewood Nav2.jpg
    Marblewood Nav2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 296
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turbowagon

You have to get one of those nylon washers for the headstock. No more chuck sticking problems.

Nice pen, though! The marblewood is a great match for that kit.

- Joe

jttheclockman

My chuck is stuck to my lathe! It won't come off :mad:

Ah well, life goes on. This is what I made BEFORE I couldn't get the chuck off;
Marblewood Barron

Plastic washer is the answer for the future. For now get one of those small strap wrenches like they use to take oil filters off.

ldb2000

Really nice looking pen .
+1 on the nylon washer . You can make your own by cutting a piece out of a plastic bottle to fit between the chuck and the spindle of your lathe . To get the chuck off the spindle you will have to break it loose (not really break it but get it unstuck) . You can do this several ways . If your lathe has a locking feature on the headstock lock it and use your chuck key or tommy bar or an oilfilter wrench (the leather or rubber strap kind , or , You could try heating the chuck with a heat gun or hair drier on high which will expand the chuck and it will just spin off (be careful not to over heat the spindle which could damage the bearing , and don't burn yourself with the hot chuck) . You could try tapping the chuck body with a metal hammer while turning the spindle by hand to loosen it , don't tap it too hard though , you don't want to crack the chuck body or damage the bearings . I've never had any luck with penetrating oils like WD40 or CRC-56 but they are also worth a try .

Last edited:

Fred

If the chuck has 'sealed bearings' you might not want to use the heating method as that can destroy the integrity of the seal and cause everything to leak out. The best trick is to use the oil filter wrench. ALSO it is the safest way I know to do this and avoid damaging the chuck, jaws, and/or the lathe.

As has already been suggested, make a plastic washer. Make it out of PVC pipe, milk carton, etc., anything that avoids the metal-to-metal contact. The washer doesn't have to be very thick to do it's magic. I've been using my tiny piece of PVC for years now and it still is doing it's job quite nicely. :)

DrPepper8412

Well, it took two days, but I finally managed to get the chuck off. Thanks for all your help guys! I went ahead and picked up an oil filter wrench, and a can of WD 40. After litterally doing EVERYTHING to get this thing off short of beating it to death, heat, tapping, pulling, yanking, and everything in between :mad:, I gave in and took it to the local woodcraft shop, where they then replicated my attempts, and finally hooked it onto the fork lift where it FINALLY came off. Anyway, once it was off I rushed home to make another pen! :biggrin:

Attachments

• 0817101327.jpg
    0817101327.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Zebrawood El Grande.jpg
    Zebrawood El Grande.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 98
Top Bottom