I'm awfully darn proud of myself for this one!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from angboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

This was my first attempt at a closed-end pen, after having the pin chuck for over a year. I decided to try on a soft easy wood, so I used this green dyed pine. It's a good thing I did use a soft wood, b/c I ran into a problem. I had a really hard time keeping straight in my head which part was going to be the closed end and how it was all goign to fit together. For the closed end half, I only thought to make sure I drilled deep enough for the tube to fit inside, not thinking about how the refill actually takes up some of the room in the end cap/finial area. So when my ink cartridge stuck way far out, I thought I was in big trouble. But I was able to put it in that great PHD pen vise and drill some out and then finish it by using the drill bit and just twisting it by hand in the tube, until it got to the right length.

I just knew when I started that I'd mess something up and thought about really putting some serious forethought into it, but then decided what the heck I'll just try it and kick myself later if it doesn't work out. So I had to kick myself for only a minute or two til I realized this was a problem I could actually fix! I think this one's going to stay mine!

20079405122_Sept42007ASmall.jpg

20079405132_Sept42007BSmall.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Thanks everyone. I did pick a soft wood to use, or at least a light blank, my idea being that it'd hold on the pin chuck better. Don't know if that's what worked or not, but I'm pleased with how it came out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom