"I'll have a Silkie with a side of Opalescence..."

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

Fun commission just completed: One of my list members heard I was casting silk pens, and emailed: "I'll have a Silkie with a side of Opalescence". I responded playfully that she either wanted an Asian species of fluffy chicken (Asian Gallus gallus domesticus, aka Silkie), or the singular form of a pair of silk "delicates". She opted for a pen:
Cactus Juice vacuum stabilized hand and airbrush-dyed Habotai 8mm silk, hand painted with a little Pearl-Ex interference blue mixed with Cactus Juice prior to parchment paper wrapping, heat cured for 1 hour in the toaster oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit, then cast in Douglas and Sturgess PR using clear PVC pipe mold (and she likes it):
attachment.php

Happy Thursday to all - Bob
(it's more opalescent in "real life")

Attachments

• SilkieSideOfOpalescence,markison,may,2016,800px.jpg
    SilkieSideOfOpalescence,markison,may,2016,800px.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

Very cool. I think it has just the right amount of fabric so as not to overwhelm the design. You might need to start selling these blanks!

Bob in SF

Thanks, Lewis - not ready to sell blanks (yet) - but I am refining and extending the working methods (so far very fun, but very time-consuming).
big weekend of experiments ahead -
This one is intriguing:
Handmade Thailand Kozo fiber paper - this pic shows boiling up the fiber at pH10-11; then the fiber is beaten to a pulp with meat hammers, turned into sheets with an improvised mold and deckle (standard washi technique), then pressed between sheets of blotter paper with a simply-constructed 2 ton bottle press; then dried and ready for dyeing/painting, Cactus Juice stabilization, inclusion into blanks, etc.
Makes sense to make paper, put paper in pen, then put pen to paper - also invites some interesting pen/paper sets for commissions.
attachment.php

Stay tuned.

Best regards to all, Bob

Attachments

• PenReadyPaper,markison,800px.jpg
    PenReadyPaper,markison,800px.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Top Bottom