IItty-Bitty pen from saw mill scraps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jtate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

This is from the ends of boards from a local saw mill. They cut these saw tooth ends on the boards so they can glue two boards together adn get an appropriate length. I dyed one piece and epoxied it together with an undyed piece and then turned it. The dye traveled up the wood in an interesting pattern so I used that upper section of the board as the top barrell. That sounded like a better idea than it turned out to be, Don't really like the top part.

IttyBittyPen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeffj13

Cool pen. I actually like the upper half and the contrast it creates. I think if you did the upper half like the lower, it would look too busy.

jeff

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
That is called a finger joint used on "paint grade woods" normally shorts of clear woods that would normally be scrap.
Usually they are found in windows and doors, pieces that would be painted.
You can get a router bit and using a router in a router table easily make them yourself.

jtate

Thanks for the info, Eagle!

I just find them outside the mill. My neighborhood abuts a pretty impoverished urban area and the mill makes a habit of keeping a firewood pile going all winter for the people who need it. I have met some pretty interesting people who are gathering heating fuel while I'm finding treasures like these.

The little pieces with the finger joint cuts are almost always cut to a perfect size for a pen blank once they've been mated with another piece. I like that because my shop is - well, equipment-deprived, shall we say. I like not having to do much cutting because I do my cutting by hand saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom