Ignore the optical illusion...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marc Phillips

Marc Phillips

EuroJuniper4-04-08.JPG

No, the centerband is not cut at an angle... no clue what is going on here, but with the new computer came a different version of my old software I used on the old computer... all I did was load the same program but it works differently on the new computer..

Oh well...

It's a chrome Euro with Juniper and a spalted ash centerband...

I am using the new 3" tool rest from Randy at Monster Tool www.monster-wood-tool.com ... works like a champ. Nice to be able to get the rest close again...

I also used my new bushings from JohnnyCNC
http://penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35046 ... so I can turn Euro's between centers... Nice... I am totally hooked on turning pens between centers now... just seems so much better and easier than using a mandrel..

Moving along... this one was my first try at making my own centerband on a Euro... didn't get the proportions the way I would like, but hey, it's a first pen... I am either going to make the lower barrel larger or taper the upper barrel a little so that there is less of a drastic diameter change between barrels... and I needed to round the centerband a little too... Learning lots by doing!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Marc , you've already said everything for me ! This is a beautiful pen now ! With your notes , it would really be nice ! The finish is smooooth . What did you use ? I like the CB ! Thanks for sharing ! [8D]

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by dalecamino

Marc , you've already said everything for me ! This is a beautiful pen now ! With your notes , it would really be nice ! The finish is smooooth . What did you use ? I like the CB ! Thanks for sharing ! [8D]

Thanks...

I use a Ca finish... no blo, just thin CA sanded through 12000 MM and then on to the Beall buff...

Randy_

Originally posted by Marc Phillips

.....I am either going to make the lower barrel larger or taper the upper barrel a little so that there is less of a drastic diameter change between barrels...and I needed to round the centerband a little too...

Good thinking!! I had the exact same reaction when I saw the picture.

Marc Phillips

Thanks all... it did throw me off doing one blank at a time with the Euro... even though all I had to do was take the blanks off and compare them before starting the finishing! .... Doh! [:p]

toolcrazy

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

Doesn't do it for me. Center band looks like a mistake or afterthought. The CB should have a rounded bottom to help blend with rest of pen, looks unfinished. Sorry.

Sorry, but I agree. The rest of the pen looks very nice, but the CB.......

Top Bottom