If you don't like aluminum....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You sure won't like this one :biggrin: There's ALOT of it here:wink: I used the 12mm triple start tap and die as usual. Please let me know what you think. I know there's always room for improvement and, I've seen some of them. Like a deeper recess for the clip ring. Thanks alot for looking and any comments.

Attachments

• IMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_1015.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_1017.JPG
    IMG_1017.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1018.JPG
    IMG_1018.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 467

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Nice enough job over all Chuck. I'm not a big fan of the straight barrel look but thats an opinion on design.

Let me add, I think a little more work on the nosecone to make it less bulky would improve on the overall design of the pen.

LOL Now I have 2 opinions

Last edited:

Timbo

For the most part I like it a lot! Somehow the nib shape does not work for me...seems too "bulky". I'm no expert here, but I think it would look better if it had a more gental taper down to the pen tip. I love the over all shape when its closed. Thanks for sharing.

Tim

wiset1

That's friggin HOT! Weekends really do show off the talent, this is amazing. Awesome work

IPD_Mr

Let me add, I think a little more work on the nosecone to make it less bulky would improve on the overall design of the pen.

But Mike look at those meat hooks that Chuck has for hands. That explains why he likes a bulky pen. :tongue:

It looks good Chuck and I am sure that it is technically sound. But I do have to agree with Mike on the straight shape of this one. I think because it is aluminum, it looks much like a pocket Mag-Lite. Then again, who am I to critique as I could not do what you have done.

Mapster

Awesome.. Always taking steps in the right direction. I agree with Mike, but combine this with some other ideas you have had and you are on your way to stardom!

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Chuck, that pen is a little dull:biggrin:. I think you should send it to me, that way I can do a full review on it!!!! I also think I need to move to Florida, that way I can progress as much as you have! Good looking pen in my book. And I prefer a straight profile.

JohnU

Looks great Chuck! I like the nib and often get comments on the jr's I make that the nib is too skinny. I think it's a definately winner. Nice work!

Rick P

Way better than I could do!

My critiques?
1) I prefer more shape to a pen. Curves are sexy but thats more of an aesthetic and the world would be very boring if we all found the same stuff attractive.
2) The nose needs to be tapered to the hole/head of the cartridge.
3) Did the clip slip a bit or is the recess notched a touch wide?
4) You continued the banding element to the upper portion of the nose cone(Nib) should it be a bit more pronounced in that section? To my eye from the pic it seems less deliberate.

Again way ahead of me but in art school we did open and honest critiques that really did help the work a great deal. I know that is what I hope for when I post a pen, you guys have missed some really ugly mistakes on my part. Thanks for being nice but don't be afraid to be honest.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice enough job over all Chuck. I'm not a big fan of the straight barrel look but thats an opinion on design.

LOL Now I have 2 opinions
Thanks Mike for BOTH of your opinions. They are valued.

I like it a LOT. That's what this art is all about right there.
Thanks Allan. This stuff is really NOT that an art.:wink:

Thank You.

For the most part I like it a lot! Somehow the nib shape does not work for me...seems too "bulky". I'm no expert here, but I think it would look better if it had a more gental taper down to the pen tip. I love the over all shape when its closed. Thanks for sharing.

Tim
Thanks Tim, I appreciate your input.

That's friggin HOT! Weekends really do show off the talent, this is amazing. Awesome work
Thank you, I appreciate the compliment.

Lookin real good from here Chuck!
Thanks Jeff!

Looks great, nice work.
Thanks Jim.

Looks great Chuck! Makes me wish I could get my metal lathe set up right now! I've gotta find/make room before I can start playing with it.
Thank you Jonathon. I look forward to seeing some of your turnings too.

I agree on the tip but rest looks great. I would like to see it as a fp with a corresponding grip.
Thanks for your input.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

But Mike look at those meat hooks that Chuck has for hands. That explains why he likes a bulky pen. :tongue:

It looks good Chuck and I am sure that it is technically sound. But I do have to agree with Mike on the straight shape of this one. I think because it is aluminum, it looks much like a pocket Mag-Lite. Then again, who am I to critique as I could not do what you have done.
LOL. thanks Mike. For you and Redburn, the pen IS tapered on both ends when capped. Just, not much:redface: The finial is .523, the cap at center is .560, the lower body is .552at center and .520 on the other end. There is a reason for this, but too long a story for this post. Trust me!:wink: Thanks for your input too. I'm taking notes.:biggrin:

That's a sweet looking pen.
Thanks Derek.

Beauty, I like it, a LOT:)
Thanks you Fred!:biggrin:

Nice work there Chuck. I like the clean look of it.
Thanks Lupe!:wink:

Awesome.. Always taking steps in the right direction. I agree with Mike, but combine this with some other ideas you have had and you are on your way to stardom!
Thanks Marshall! Stardom:eek:?

Chuck, that pen is a little dull:biggrin:. I think you should send it to me, that way I can do a full review on it!!!! I also think I need to move to Florida, that way I can progress as much as you have! Good looking pen in my book. And I prefer a straight profile.
Thanks Ernie! Move on down here. Autozone needs good help down here.:biggrin:

Looks great Chuck! I like the nib and often get comments on the jr's I make that the nib is too skinny. I think it's a definately winner. Nice work!
Thank you John. I guess there's a nib for everyone, huh?

Way better than I could do!

My critiques?
1) I prefer more shape to a pen. Curves are sexy but thats more of an aesthetic and the world would be very boring if we all found the same stuff attractive.
2) The nose needs to be tapered to the hole/head of the cartridge.
3) Did the clip slip a bit or is the recess notched a touch wide?
4) You continued the banding element to the upper portion of the nose cone(Nib) should it be a bit more pronounced in that section? To my eye from the pic it seems less deliberate.

Again way ahead of me but in art school we did open and honest critiques that really did help the work a great deal. I know that is what I hope for when I post a pen, you guys have missed some really ugly mistakes on my part. Thanks for being nice but don't be afraid to be honest.
Thank you Rick. You comments are well taken as well. I didn't notice the clip as I put it back together after taking the dis-assembled photo. It's what happens when you get in a hurry. It does have a perfect fit.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Do you ever sleep? Give me a break! I'm still trying to get a good CA finish.
:biggrin::biggrin: I do sometimes:tongue::biggrin: Need help? Come down for a visit. We'll take care of that finish issue and, you can make a pen on the new toy.:biggrin: Thanks Ron!

chriselle

You are really up'ing your game there buddy. Very nice work Chuck. I could use a few tips on the whole kitless thing. The threading I get......what I don't get is the order in completing the pen.

bluwolf

Chuck, The finish is beautiful. I think the pen could be a bit longer though, looks just a little short for the diameter. But again, that's just personal preference. I'm gonna have to find a different material to work with. Aluminum is obviously yours now:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You are really up'ing your game there buddy. Very nice work Chuck. I could use a few tips on the whole kitless thing. The threading I get......what I don't get is the order in completing the pen.
Thank you Chris. You can get alot from Georges(texatdurango) tutorial in the library. And, because you helped me build my guitar, I'll have no problem helping you with a metal pen. I'll be in touch.

Chuck, The finish is beautiful. I think the pen could be a bit longer though, looks just a little short for the diameter. But again, that's just personal preference. I'm gonna have to find a different material to work with. Aluminum is obviously yours now:biggrin:
Thanks Mike. You're right, it is short. It measures 4 5/8 closed. Please be sure to let me know what kind of material WE'RE going to work on next.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Chuck,
That's a great looking pen. Are you using an endmill on the cap to notch out for the clip ring?
Thanks Cris. Right now, I'm using a 1/2" router bit as recommended by Mike Redburn, since I don't have end mills. I looked at HD for a 7/16 but they only carry 8ths sizes. I think 3/8 would work for the right clips.

Hi Chuck

Cool work as always. By any chance would you have the weight of your creation?
Thank you Pete. You know? I DON'T have a scale yet but, it's on my list. Since I drill the lower body with 1/4" there is still alot of material remaining. Adding to the weight. But, this one feels good. Not too heavy, not too light.

BradG

just be sure to dilute your acid the day BEFORE meeting up guys :) .... otherwise you will all be standing there not being able to do anything until its cool! (24 hours)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
HOt Pink? for the accents Chuck!
YOU, would think of something like that :biggrin:

Black would look good on that, I can't wait to see that happen Chuck. Maybe next week? I will let you know
OK Marshall. We're ready!

just be sure to dilute your acid the day BEFORE meeting up guys :) .... otherwise you will all be standing there not being able to do anything until its cool! (24 hours)
Thanks for that advice Brad!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If you buy the car battery acid is it not diluted already? Or does it have to be diluted more? IM going ot make an aluminum slim to anodize when we get to do it.

Just trying to be of sevice Chuck. You know me out to help you out any way I can!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
If you buy the car battery acid is it not diluted already? Or does it have to be diluted more? IM going ot make an aluminum slim to anodize when we get to do it.

Just trying to be of sevice Chuck. You know me out to help you out any way I can!
I know I can always count on you for help Mike.:biggrin: I did get car battery acid and, it is to be diluted 1 to 1 or 2 to 1. I'm thinking 1 to 1 ratio. I may be corrected.

IPD_Mr

My vote is for chartreuse! If it works well you can do all the trim on the camino! :biggrin::tongue::biggrin::tongue:

Top Bottom