If you did not fall, now is time! Hahaha!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

So I decided to turn another one, afzelia burl of my private stash! :)

Okay the wood is not as nice but this one is MINE!!! :)

The best wood in my book! Clicky the thumbnails and look at the pretty colors.

Thanks for all your comments you guys motivated me to do it again!

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

That did turn out nice also. I still say any burl wood is extremely likeable if you are wood person. It can dress up just about any kit out there. Thanks for showing.

kinggabby

Again I am glad I am strapped in bed to my machines or I might hit the floor... Again nice work and I love the material. Awescome

seamus7227

Not bad, not bad!! But I'm not a fan of the color,:rolleyes: I like the true orangish red color tones that come from Azelia. but I do love your finish! And the photography!:biggrin:

CharlesH

Hey Bill,

Here is my procedure for what it's worth.

I cut pasted it from another post I made because I am lazy. :p

"Basically here is my procedure, when I am done turning, at least when I think I am done, I use a spare pair of new bushings to check the size, the one on the lathe are always a bit worn up. Before finishing I usually go from 240, 400, 600, 1000, 1500 dry sanding at 4000 RPM on johnnycnc's delrin bushings. I highly suggest that you guys get www.exoticblanks.com
sand papers kits of 8.5"x11" sheets and you cut it in strips for dry sanding. I usually use a 1" strip of each grit for a single barrel pen. When blank is properly sanded, I clean the sanding dust excess by rubbing a shop towel on the blank from side to side and from up to down while turning the lathe by hand then I use a compressor to blow at the blank at 70-80 PSI.

I set my lathe to something around 500 RPM, first two coats on rosewoods is thin and I apply my CA by turning lathe by hand. I use strips of shop towels as applicator, for the next coats I use medium CA.

I apply my coats of medium CA by rubbing side to side for long enough so the glue is starting to cure like 10-15 secs then I let it sit for 40-50 secs and from 12-15" I spray 2 push of accelerator in the direction of the blank while blowing at my blank and I place my other hand behind the blank so I feel if the accelerator mist is hitting the blank. Dark woods get cloudy really easily with accelerator (for me) so the less you use the better.

After each coat of CA glue I usually sand with wet sand with black MM of 3000 or finer, it really depends on how I feel about the wood. Sometimes I apply a few coats what is important is to just make sure that there is no dust or shop towels dust on the wood. Make sure you don't have any white fine dust in the wood grain after sanding or you will be ****ed at the end noticing it. I am a picky bastard. ;)

So I apply usually 10 to 20 coats by sanding in between each coat and at some point you have a nice finish build up. I have good lighting in my shop, when I have a uniform finish and the ends of my blanks are well coated I proceed to go with the next MM's and I finish with plastic polish. I apply the plastic polish with shop towels and I buff the plastic polish with paper towel.
"

Charles

Two in a row, very very nice! What are you doing/using for your finish?

Bill

Top Bottom