If he ruins another shirt his wife will kill him!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

So my boss has a mahogany cigar pen I gave him a couple years ago when I first started turning. He loves it, but he has ruined two shirts already because of the ink being out because he forgot to twist the pen back to retract the ink. He asked me a week ago if he could get a click in same style, same wood. He likes only wax finishes because he likes the patina on the wood that happens over time. So I found this cigar click at CSUSA, and so far am happy with it. I have an over abundance of mahogany my dad gave me already cut up. It was nice working on wood instead of PR or an acrylic blank. I give the pen to my boss today. Hopefully he doesn't mess up anymore shirts lol.

cigarclickmahog.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Todd; I do wood pens, but use a CA finish. After applying several coats of THIN CA, I use 0000 steel wool to reduce the finish to a satin. It provides a much better "tactile" feel on the wood and doesn't look or feel like "plastic".

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
So my boss has a mahogany cigar pen I gave him a couple years ago when I first started turning. He loves it, but he has ruined two shirts already because of the ink being out because he forgot to twist the pen back to retract the ink. He asked me a week ago if he could get a click in same style, same wood. He likes only wax finishes because he likes the patina on the wood that happens over time. So I found this cigar click at CSUSA, and so far am happy with it. I have an over abundance of mahogany my dad gave me already cut up. It was nice working on wood instead of PR or an acrylic blank. I give the pen to my boss today. Hopefully he doesn't mess up anymore shirts lol.

View attachment 76584
Hmmmm....I used a "pocket saver" for that purpose myself.....

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I hate to ask silly questions, but if he can't remember to twist the pen, why will he remember to push the button?????
I will venture a guess that he (he being the boss) believes that since the click operation can always be accomplished with one hand and (depending on how you are holding the pen) the twist operation can require both hands, it is easier to train yourself to click the pen on the way to the pocket than it is to twist it. My personal opinion would be that is correct. That being said, it is still quite possible to 'forget' to check and actually click to extend rather than retract on the way to the pocket....I'd still have given him a pocket saver.:wink:

SDB777

The nature wood look 'works well' for this type of timber! Well done!

At least he hasn't asked you to remove the ink stains from his shirts!?!?!?

Scott (invisible ink might be just right for him) B

phillywood

Todd, he could put a diaper on the bottom of pen when he inserts it in his pocket :rolleyes: or use the pocket saver like Smitty said, however, teaching the old dog new trick is something whished for not achieved. On the other hand pen looks good, let's hope he can teach himself to learn to click closed not open.:glasses-nerdy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom