If at first you don't succeed....COMPLETED

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

Making a pen for a friend and while turning the first blank ran into an almost solid black blank. All the gold veins disappeared so I tossed it aside and started with another blank. I'm glad I did because I think this baby shouts "Look at me!" I really like this truestone!

I started to use a small Schmidt front section but didn't like the way it looked on the pen so decided to customize the nib jacket instead and since you can't dissasemble a Schmidt front section I wound up using a Heritage SF nib.

2008429222311_black%20gold%20fountain1.jpg

2008429222327_black%20gold%20fountain2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice so far George ! I hope that cap does match that lower body . If it does , you will have yourself a real fine instrument . Good luck ! [8D]

csb333

That looks great! Did you buy tap & dies on the group buy or will that be single start? Or did you cut the threads with a metal lathe? I made a pen out of the same material I think, and the cuttings looked like small shreads springled with powder like copy machine toner.It was hard though. Great design!- Chris

VisExp

That's a very elegant looking pen George. As a new pen turner I find myself getting frustrated commenting on your work. Mainly because of my unfamiliarity with the various parts of a pen kit, or in your case lack of. Also I have never made a fountain pen so that whole area seems like a black art to me. I can see that you put a great deal of time, effort and craftsmanship into your work, but I feel that I don't fully appreciate the extent of it as I don't understand the whole process.

Over time I'm sure I'll figure it out. Until then I'll have to be content with admiring a beautiful pen :)

Texatdurango

Originally posted by csb333

That looks great! Did you buy tap & dies on the group buy or will that be single start? Or did you cut the threads with a metal lathe? I made a pen out of the same material I think, and the cuttings looked like small shreads springled with powder like copy machine toner.It was hard though. Great design!- Chris
The main body/cap threads were cut with a multi-start tap and die. There was a group buy on another forum prior to the one which was held on the IAP, I got in on that buy so have been enjoying my tap and die for a few months now.

LEAP

George that is an absolutely fantastic looking pen. I like all of your work but this one really stands out. You're definately playing with the big dogs now!

Texatdurango

Originally posted by VisExp

... Also I have never made a fountain pen so that whole area seems like a black art to me. I can see that you put a great deal of time, effort and craftsmanship into your work, but I feel that I don't fully appreciate the extent of it as I don't understand the whole process.
Keith, Fountain pens are really not mysterious. If you want to have some fun, buy a fountain pen kit next time you are ordering kits and put it together. Then if you want to have ten times the fun, get another kit, layout all the pieces and start thinking of ways to slowly eliminate the kit pieces and still have a functional pen.

It takes me longer to make one of these pens than to craft a kit pen and as simple as they are, I still get a sense of pride when I finish one, hold it up and say... "I made that!" :)

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Dan_F

That's a great finish after a promising start. Bet he'll be happy.

Dan
I hope so, I'll find out in a few days! I used a drop of CA up in the cap area so I'll leave it dissasembled for the rest of today to air out good then box it up and mail it tomorrow.

Last time I made a pen using CA in the cap, I closed it up and a few weeks later when I opened it, the nib was cloudy with a gray residue, probably from the CA outgassing so lesson learned.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Mather323

I like your work, the only problem I have is that turestone does not like me!:D
Michael, tell us what it is about you that truestone doesn't like? [:p] Perhaps some of us with a bit of experience with truestone can answer some questions or discuss some thoughts. It can be a little tricky and a LOT slow working with but once you get beyond a few quirks, it's really great stuff to turn, at least some of it!

Top Bottom