IBO Slimline and Finish Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davinci27

davinci27

Okay, here's another modified slimline. This is a twist nib with a recessed finial. I really like this style of pen, it really seems to show off the blank. I'm also getting better at the recessed finials.

I debated with myself on how to finish this pen. I really like the ca finishes, but I didn't want to hide the character of the wood with a completely slick finish. I ended up just putting on a thin CA finish. Hopefully thick enough to protect it, but not thick enough to fill in all the voids. I also didn't go through all the MM grits. I didn't want to end up with the super glossy finish. What do you guys think of the finish? Do you have a better suggestion for finishing IBO.

Last thing please excuse the photos, I am still playing with my photo booth. I haven't figured out the mirrors and lights, etc.

Ben

Attachments

• bog1.jpg
    bog1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 236
  • bog2.jpg
    bog2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 272
  • bog3.jpg
    bog3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 214
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

great looking pen Ben. I really like what you did with the finial. I don't like those clips as they always seem weak to me, but I like what you've done with it.

davinci27

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of these clips. I really like the CSUSA clips that are included with their slimlines. I plan to order several kits with the next group buy.

pipecrafter

I really like the way you chose to finish the IBO. I think it really lets the character of the wood come through. I'm also impressed with the pen itself! One thing I dislike about the slimline style pens is that center band, and the fact that it really limits the shapes you can make. With what you've done here, there no such limitation!

PaulDoug

another nice one. My next slimline is going to be an attempt at making one like yours. I agree with you, I like it and it really shows off the blank

talbot

Thats very sleek Ben and I do like the cap treatment.
I followed your earlier instructions and turned a few of these myself and had great fun making them.
Much better than the regular slimlines I think.
regards, Bill.

davinci27

Bill - The cap treatment is from Russ Fairfield. There used to be a PDF somewhere that showed how to do this. I looked around this morning, but can't find the PDF anymore.

I'm making another of these pens and taking pictures of each step. I've had several PM's about the twist nib, so I thought I would put together a tutorial.

Ben

Top Bottom