IBO...AKA Irish Bog Oak.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenPal

PenPal

My friend Lyle Walden on the IAP swapped some blanks with me this pen is from one marked IBO. It is a superb example of fully dried ancient timber I have used. Far superior ,less brittle than African Ebony that I find unstable and difficult in the past.

It had brown flecks through it.

Used a kit I had been saving for such a blank, thanks Lyle.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF8641.JPG
    DSCF8641.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 247
  • DSCF8643.JPG
    DSCF8643.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCF8644.JPG
    DSCF8644.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCF8649.JPG
    DSCF8649.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 192
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

WOW!

Peter, that is really nice. The choice of pen kit really sets that beautiful wood off perfectly.

Thanks for sharing.

Warren

DJBPenmaker

Can hardly believe you achieved that finish with just two coats of CA. Great looking pen.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

PenPal

Can hardly believe you achieved that finish with just two coats of CA. Great looking pen.

I rarely use more than two coats of CA for many reasons. The main one is this coating sinks in well and all that is needed for most timbers. To prove this I have experimented with one coat often and use this often as well.

Peter.

DJBPenmaker

I rarely use more than two coats of CA for many reasons. The main one is this coating sinks in well and all that is needed for most timbers. To prove this I have experimented with one coat often and use this often as well.

Peter.
I sometimes use one or two coats if I just want to seal the wood and achieve a more natural looking finish but never got such a high gloss. Maybe it's something to do with bog Oak as well, or do you always manage to get a shiny finish?

Gregory Hardy

Peter - that's lovely. I am a great fan of bog oak as well. Can you share a source for the timber that is certified as "Irish Bog Oak?" Geographic source is critical in this case. Please PM if you can help. Very handsome and tasteful pen...but I have come to expect nothing less from your shed.

OZturner

Magnificent Pen Peter,
Love the Irish Bog Oak, Great Depth of Colour Acheived, Enhanced by your Excellent Finish.
Beautiful Choice of Hardware, Ideally Matches the Beauty of the Blank.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom