IAP Bash Contest Prize

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigShed

BigShed

During the recent IAP Bash a tutorial I wrote on Kitless Pen turning was entered in the Best Article or Tutorial for 2012 contest., not by me, all the articles and tutorial are entered automatically..

It was in the final 5 and eventually won the 3rd prize, which happened to be a very nice Feather Blank donated by JohnU, thank you John.

IMG_5459.JPG

The blank arrived last week, it was cast on a set of Jr Gent II tubes and came with an extra bit to turn a matching finial if required.

I decided to have a go at this blank today, haven't done a feather blank before, so something different.

Before I started I turned up a set of No Mandrel Bushes for the Jr Gent II as I discovered I didn't have a set of those for myself!

As can be seen in the above photo, the blanks are a fair bit out of round and longer than the tubes, so the first order of business was to get them round and trimmed to correct length.

IMG_5461.JPG

IMG_5462.JPG

After getting them round, still oversized, they were trimmed to length.

IMG_5464.JPG

IMG_5465.JPG

So far the work has been done on the metal lathe, so now we are ready for final turning and sanding/polishing on the wood lathe.

IMG_5467.JPG

IMG_5468.JPG

With the 2 barrels finished on the wood lathe, it was back to the metal lathe to dimension the finial part.

IMG_5469.JPG

Back to the wood lathe for final shaping, sanding and polishing.

IMG_5470.JPG

..........and back to the metal lathe for parting off.

IMG_5471.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Your making me think about getting a metal lathe now.....everything looks perfect! And congrats on the 3rd place finish too!!!

Scott (bet threading is a breeze) B

cnirenberg

Fred,
Love that pen. Nice "no mandrel" bushings. I picked up some scrap steel and made a few sets for myself. Maybe another mini-tutorial in the making......

lyonsacc

Fred,

Thanks for posting this. I too ended up with a John U feather blank as part of a box-o-blanks prize from the BASH. Having never turned something like it I have been nervous to touch the thing. Hope mine turns out 1/2 as nice as yours.

Dave

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Congratulations Fred! You've done great work creating a really nice pen with Johns blanks. Using those lathes in harmony:biggrin: The bushes are impressive also. I got five nice wood blanks for 2nd place.

JohnU

That's one smooth process you have worked out. You did great bringing those blanks to life. Thanks for sharing.

John Den

Hello Fred,

Your article inspired me to make my first Kitless pen which I entered in this year's Bash.
You well deserved a prize and what a splendid pen you have made with it !
Great post and pictures as well.

Congratulations and many thanks,
Kind Regards
John
[FONT=&quot]Unplaced finalist in 2013 "Exotic Blanks Advanced Beautiful Pen Contest"[/FONT]

Top Bottom