• Candy Cane Pen Satin Nickel Slimline 01.jpg
    Candy Cane Pen Satin Nickel Slimline 01.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 297
  • Candy Cane Pen Satin Nickel Slimline 02.jpg
    Candy Cane Pen Satin Nickel Slimline 02.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 229
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LarryDNJR

This was made using a plastic candy cane decoration from Joann Fabrics and Craft stores. Normally $6 item got it for about $2. It had rounded edges on the striping and really wasn't much thicker than a cigar body. Drilling it was a pain as it kept melting on me. Turning wasn't to bad. The pictures don't show it very well but I had some small chipping on the outside in a few spots and some visible cracking from outside in to the tube going on through the transparent red and green colors. To get it smooth enough and get those round edges off it would only seem to fit on a slimline with a straight as possible body. I will get a picture next day or so of the actual candy cane used.

Larry

LarryDNJR

WoW!!! From a real candy cane... I've got to try this one!

No this one was plastic. I've considered a real candy cane. Only problem is can't find them with striping all the way through to the center. Secondly I'm concerned about melting the sugar in the candy.

darcisowers

LOOKS GREAT! I've wondered if I had someone cast them in clear acrylic, if that would allow them to be turned for the thicker pens; but I think it won't work as well as I'm envisioning.

I made some of those last year for my family for Christmas. I added a candycane clip. I like the ones with the "extra" green stripe, but my hubby is more traditional that he likes only the red and white ones.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55632

I keep my eye out everywhere I go, wondering "can I make a pen outta that?":biggrin:

ctubbs

Good job Larry. If it would not be too messy, you might try water cooling the next time you try drilling. That might hold down the cracking also. Just a thought.
Charels

Top Bottom