I would be the Father In Law and Daddy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from joefyffe

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
After my Son In Law (M of MLK Pens and Woodworking) slipping around behind my back and posting a photo I sent to him in confidence, And THEN accusing me of occasionally "lurking" on here, but not posting anything :) I felt it was time to become involved. Give me a break, guys, I only started turning pens last Feb. and I'm more in need of constructive suggestions than I am kudos. .And then when my baby girl, L of MLK called me the best Daddy in the world, I knew I HAD to become more involved and quit just "lurking". Anyway, I hope you like what I have. This is crosscut Bocote on a Antique Brass Cigar hardware.

Attachments

• _DSC3752.jpg
    _DSC3752.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 266
  • _DSC3753.jpg
    _DSC3753.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

I really like the crosscut woods and I like bocote too. So together I think you have a winner. I was looking real close to see if I could pick out something to mention and I am not seeing it personally. Did you do a CA finish? About the only thing I personally would have done different is used either a chrome or black ti kit, but thats me preference on this one.

johnnycnc

Welcome Joe, glad to see you out of lurking.:)
Your pen looks good, I like the wood and your fit looks fine.
what's the finish you used?

OKLAHOMAN

Welcome Joe, you asked for it so here it is, YOU REALLY ADMIT MIKE IS YOUR SIL?:wink:
^
^
^
Don't tell him but he did one hell of a job teaching you the pen looks perfect

Mark

The wood is awesome. I've not seen the Antique Brass. Very nice.

Now I must go and find it. BTW: Welcome to the IAP..

IPD_Mrs

Just great. Of all the things I have ever been know for, the one that will stick is exposing my FIL.:devil:

Roy:
As previously explained Dad is not trainable. :eek: He is self taught. Watched a few demos at Rockler, then a couple videos and he was off and running. Oh and after 17 years Dad had learned he cannot avoid claiming me no matter how hard he tries. I am like that nagging back ache that never goes away. :biggrin:

Dad:
Pen looks good. Great job on lining up the grain. The clip side of the pen reminds me of a bengal tiger pelt. Todd is correct the antique brass is not the best finish choice for the blank. (competing yellow tones) Black Ti would be my choice of finish. I think you need to lower your right light a tad for the photo to avoid shadows and darkening of the pen when a prop is in play. Gerry would be one of the better people on here to make suggestions on the photo.

Mike

IPD_Mrs

Ok .. I told ya'll he isn't trainable ... but you won't listen :biggrin:

I hope you listen to this ... He really DOES want honest critiques .. NO NPGJ for my Daddy please!!!!!!!!!!

Dad -- I am REALLY proud of the line up on this one. You nailed it.

I also would not have used the kit that you did (agree with the golds/yellows) - however, I would have chosen a silver toned kit rather than a black-ti (perhaps) so that there wasn't too much "black" distracting from the beautiful black graining. In all honesty I generally put the cap/clip against any piece I am working to decide what I like the looks of before I finish it all the way down, but that is my gut instinct on this one.

Still .. I would be more than pleased to pop that on the web site under your "Guest Artist" locale.

Oh .. and that wine stopper ... you need to post that picture for the guys to see .. that was freaking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love ya :angel:

IPD_Mrs

Just great. Of all the things I have ever been know for, the one that will stick is exposing my FIL.:devil:

Gee dear .. is there something you want to tell me?????????

Roy:
Oh and after 17 years Dad had learned he cannot avoid claiming me no matter how hard he tries. I am like that nagging back ache that never goes away. :biggrin:

I really haven't given either of them a choice in claiming the other Roy :wink:

Mike

Mrs.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
There seems to be mixed opinions on the kit plating. I think it is ok but a different choice would have put it over the top in my opinion of course. All in all, I am very impressed.

bitshird

Joe, I like the way you aligned the grain, from what I can tell the finish looks good, and the fit looks close indeed, the only thing I'm not crazy about is the plating on the kit, there are several that would have been better (in my opinion) which in actuality is worth exactly what you paid for it, Johnnies bushings do make a tremendous difference in the fit of the pens, I'd say great because turning cross cut Bocote isn't the easiest wood to turn.

Drcal

GREAT job, Joe! Coincidentally, I just glued up some crosscut bocote tonight to turn tomorrow. I have never turned crosscut before. I have turned plenty of Bocote, just not crosscut.

I was wondering if you could tell me if it was hard to turn since you are going against the grain? Any advice?

Thanks. Keep up the great turning!

Carmen
Tampa Bay

phillywood

Joe, beautiful pen. I can not comment on the kit finish. but, I wish there was a program that you could dismantel the blank body and paste it on other kits to actually see the ones on here who claim you should have used different color kit are indeed right or not?
Any one reading this post knows if there are such a program that you can dismantel the body of the pen and crop it to put it on another kit before you actualy finish the pen?

This would greatly help, since new comers like me have this qsn that how do you chose the right kit for the right blank? Unless, you try everywood and blanks for many kits til youfind out?

PaulDoug

PSI has a program at there sigh that allows trying different blanks on different kits. Might help, at least with the blankd and kits they sell.

Top Bottom