I won't do this again!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from evan bahr

evan bahr

I found an old cork place mat. I cut it into 3/4 inch pieces and glued them together to form a pen blank. Turned this designer pen from it. I had a lot of pull out while turning but loads of Ca glue later......!

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 341
  • 009-001.JPG
    009-001.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 326
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Martin G

Looks really good but I can imagine it must have been a bear to turn. Like Larry, I wonder if cork could be stabilized. Another thing to add to the list for when I get the tank I ordered from Curtis. :)

robutacion

Neat texture, I wonder what would happen if it were stabilized?

You can't stabilize cork, it ain't work, I have already tried...!

With the CA finish, what seems to be the hardening of the cork, is no more than a built up of a hard crust over the cork material, it works only because the CA sticks to the cork but being soaked by it, not a chance...!

There is no other way to finish the cork on a pen, is that or either natural but that, wouldn't last long, dirt would make it ugly and bits of cork could be fairly easy ripped from the tube, the CA keeps it all together and protects the surface quite nicely until, something with an edge hits the pen barrel, the cork will flex back but the CA will shatter/crack...!

I work a lot with cork and that is a chance/risk that I'm willing to take...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

drgoretex

I've turned cork many times while making grips for custom fishing rods, and I know how it can play tricks on you. I can only imagine that the composite cork is even more challenging. Nice work - your patience shows, it's a beautiful pen.

Ken

Top Bottom