I won....!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SuperDave

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperDave

I went back to the drawing board on my Wood Pen Trade and came up with this Gold Titanium Cigar using Curly Maple, Cocobolo, Padauk, Madrone and Aluminum (if you look close on both sides of the Cocobolo:D) I know it looks like a bad gap at the nib coupler and the clip but it is actually Padauk... very, very thin Padauk which is really, really hard to cut on the table saw, not to mention glue;):D

Took this one, and the Green Acrylic posted earlier, to our AAW Club Challenge tonight. Out of 25 or more entries, this won the challenge.

So, my trade partner gets "an award winning pen...;)"

2008146728_IMG_0736-1000C.jpg

2008146741_IMG_0748-1000C.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhs494

Awesome Job! That is a very nice pen. It takes a second to see all the layers, I had to go back and read all that you put into it.The very thin layers must have been quite difficult, but by you winning you AAW Club challenge I am sure it was worth while. Your trade partner is getting a very nice pen.
Once again awesome job!

Rags

That is one beautiful and awesome pen. How did you keep the padauk from bleeding into the curly maple when sanding it? I have had terrible luck trying to use those two woods together.

SuperDave

Originally posted by Rags
<br />That is one beautiful and awesome pen. How did you keep the padauk from bleeding into the curly maple when sanding it? I have had terrible luck trying to use those two woods together.

Thanks Bill,

I was concerned about the Padauk as well. Here is what I did:

1. I slowed the speed down to reduce the heat, which tends to open the wood cells up more allowing the padauk dust to penetrate, especially with the sandpaper opening up a pathway with the scratches.
2. Most importantly, I sanded from the center of the Curly Maple toward the Padauk at each end, making sure to lift the sandpaper and bring it back to the center of the Curly Maple and work from the center outward (rather than sanding back over the Padauk toward the center).
3. Finally, I made one last pass on just the Curly Maple, with light pressure, just to make sure I didn't have any Padauk residue on the Curly Maple.
4. When I apply the initial coat of finish, I follow the same procedure as in step 2. Once the wood is sealed, it doesn't matter where you start or what direction you go.

I know a lot of people will wipe the wood down with Acetone, thinner, etc., but what actually happens, is the Padauk's color will be released by the liquid and leach into the Maple.

Try it and see if it works better!

Dave

SuperDave

Originally posted by ChrisinOR
<br />Congrats!!!

That is a beautiful pen in person! Way to go!!! The aluminum really sets if off...

Chris Nilluka

Chris,

Thanks, I really thought your desk pen was going to be the winner. I was surprised when mine was selected.

If you have not already done so, post a picture for everyone to see[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom