I win

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

Finally I won..I beat this darn pencil! It is a bocote, apple, tulipwood swirl. I finished it in CA 3 times. Every time it clouded on me. Removing the CA so many times, the barrel became too small to fit the kit dang nabbit. So, I mixed up system 3 bar top and built up a thick finish. Then I didn't wait long enough and melted it. I tossed it in the drawer. I came back months later and pealed it down to wood again. I applied system 3, but didn't get the mix right, it didn't set right, I tossed it in the drawer. Months later pulled it out, peeled it down applied system 3 now 2 coats as it was so undersized by now it was rediculous. Let it sit a month, as finish was now really thick. Spun it and still I slightly melted a few spots with the heat from the skew while evening out some areas. Tossed it in the drawer with another curse. Came back to it and wet sanded carefully the melt ridges off. Applied 3 coats of medium CA over the bar top finish. Wet sanded it, polished it and finally a darn pencil! Don't worry, I won't quit my day job.

2008427112426_swirlpencil.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

That's determination, I think I would have turned the wood off and started over, Nice job like Frank said it's one of the nicest artist pencils I've seen.;)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Jeff,

Every once in a while I have one that just does not want to finish right for one reason or another and I set it aside, some time attempting twice before the final finish taking on the third try. For me it is oily woods. I can make two or three oily wood pens with CA and not problem but that one gives me trouble.

That is a nice looking pencil! Well done!

workinforwood

Thanks. Yea, epoxy bar tops make great finishes, thick and glossy...great way to build a pen back up to size. Thing is, they are very hard and durable and soft and rubbery at the same time. Using the skew to level it..the skew gets a bit warm and the heat causes the epoxy to melt a bit. Leaves sort of a little melted on line just like would happen with an acrylic if you were to only dry sand it with a finer grit. The mix has to be dead nuts accurate too. I've found that if you do get a bit of a melt, letting it just sit for a week or so will harden it back up enough that you can hand sand or wet sand the melt lines away. The thicker the pour of course, the longer it takes to cure and I had to go pretty darn thick at the nib area. It's the oily woods..sometimes they are fine and sometimes I have no luck with them.

Oh, and I'm no pen expert, but as a trucker I rule at making it sound like I am.

Ligget

Jeff that is a mighty fine pencil, the segmentation is awesome as is your finish, great save and well worth the extra effort involved! [:0][:p]

marionquill

I love that pencil! Very nicely done :) I'm glad you mentioned the bar top finish, I was just thinking about trying it out (mirror coat epoxy) and was wondering how it would do on pens...

Jason

Top Bottom