I went to the fabric store and this is what I got.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodscavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I was brainstorming for ideas for center band material so I went to the local fabric store to check out buttons. They actually work really well. Hold them with plier and SLOWLY drill a hole. Put them on the mandrel and turn to size. All kinds of colors and sizes to choose from. I have my first acrylic posted in my album with a button band. BUT that is not my story.....

I went to the fabric store and while I was buying a few buttons I saw some wood dowels. Big deal. Then one of them caught my eye. It was SPALTED.[:0] I rumaged through all of their dowels....the little old ladies seemed a little unnerved. In the 1/2" section I found 4 out of the 60 dowels with some degree of spalting. I was figuring on using them for ornaments next year. But then I had an idea. What do you think???[?][?] The center band is curly koa.

deskpen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

The buttons are a GREAT idea! I'm gonna have to go rummage through all the local craft stores before someone else finds all the spalted dowels! :)

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Buttons are a great idea. My first ivory center band was from buttons off of a 1940's sports coat I picked up at a second hand store. I put new buttons on the coat and donated it to a local shelter. Everything got recycled!

jdavis

Just finished going through all of my dowels and found some neat ones to turn. Students are excited to see how they turn out. Great job on your pens.

tipusnr

Well done and great job of scavenging. As for the elderly ladies, just show them the pen and you'll never see another spalted dowel for a long time...(you might have some irate husbands to deal with as well)!

woodscavenger

Growing up in Idaho, working on a farm I learned to make do with what I had. I have never been one to turn down someone elses junk if it could do me some good. That and the fact that before starting to turn pens (i.e. make money) I always had to beg for tools/wood from my wife so I had to be very careful.......

Docsmith45

I love the button idea. My lovely wife has sewing cabinet with 2 or 3 jars full of buttons. I have to root trough them and find some center bands. Thanks for a great idea.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom