I wanted to see

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ctEaglesc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
If I could replicate the effect of the stratowood cast-off pen with Walnut, cherry, and red mahogony,blood wood for the serendipity in me.
Nothing has to HAVE a pattern.
Slimline kit,finial and clip"borrowed from an anther kit,running out of extra parts.
CA finish
(Please note, ONE view, ONE pen)

200563022454_counttry%20jungle.eandom%20red%20010.jpg

00563022852_country%20jungle%20random%20red2%20605.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

What?

No pictures of the glue up in progress?
I don't think it happened!

Wow, that is one nice pen Eagle.

I would like to see a view from the side if you could.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />VERY neat! How long did it take you to prepare the glue-ups? I like the idea of doing my own color combinations.
Can't say for certain.
It isn't a simple matter of just cutting the wood and gluing it up.
There's a jig involved that allows me to cut them thin.You can't just go to a store and by that.
Selecting the wood and cutting it making sure you don't run short.In the picture of the blank near the 4&1/8 mark you can see a piece of walnut that shows the strips are approximately 1/16th thick.
I wanted to make sure I had enough to experiment with.I cut approximately 132 strips about 12" long.
Each piece was flipped between cuts to compensate for any run out and marked for orientation.
Then they have to be glued up in order making sure they are in the right orientation.
I wanted an accurate look with the best possible fit with out a "factory" appearanve.That's what Dyamond wood is for,I am not trying to duplicate dyed laminated wood.
Also realize turning something like this is akin to turning a burl.There is grain going in every direction and the red mahogany presented a bit of a problem.
Ca glue and a sharp skew was a must.
As far as gluing up the actual blank,I haven't come up with a method I like yet.It takes a little time and after doing a few of these I have learned it doesn't take much of an error in cutting to throw you off when gluing up this many pieces.
I am very fortunate that the woods in this pen are from the scrap bins of 2 local wood workers. Both are custom cabinet makers who "donate" scrap from their trash cans to me.It is due to this fact I don't worry about waste as the wood was going to wind up in the landfill anyway.
So in answer as to how long does it take?
Actually when I can make something like this that cannot be bought ready made and is a product of my thoughts, skills and "talents" time really is irrelavent.
Beautiful pens can be made by cutting a beautiful raw piece of material, turning it which in essence is a mechanical skill that is acquired and perfected with practise.
Making a pen such as the one above pen that is unique because of the thought that went into the material,developing a pattern, method of construction and then dealing with problems that were intentionally added by mistake due to ignorance takes more time and there is no getting around it but time is a relative thing.In short as long as you want it to take.The world will still turn whether I make a pen like this or just turn a pretty burl.

Czarcastic

Once again, a wonderful piece of craftsmanship and originality. The time and effort you take to make each of your pens inspires all of us to work a little harder on our next one... Ok.. it inspires me. I can't speak for anyone else. [;)]

Ron Mc

If I may ask.
What type of CA do you use? I like the Flex CA for my segmented pens but I find others prefer a Thin type.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I don't care for the flex ,personal preference.
The main CA I use is what ever I buy, I have not found a difference in brands, probably all comes out of the same spigot.
For most glue ups I use thck.Longer open time,but thin gets drizzled in the joints.

Ron Mc

I guess people call you "eagle" so,

Eagle,
I realize how much work and thought went into the design and construction of this pen. Then to turn the woods that are at different angles is a problem of it's own.

Great work! I look forward to seeing what you have in mind for the next one.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
"Great work! I look forward to seeing what you have in mind for the next one."
Thanks but I'd like to see someone else make the next one.

ilikewood

Last I heard, Eagle was still trying to get all the CA of his fingers![:eek:)]

BTW- Eagle, if you want, I have a few more of those "cast-off's" if you still want to play around. They are collecting dust in my shop, so they are yours if you want them.

Skordog

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />
<br />VERY neat! How long did it take you to prepare the glue-ups? I like the idea of doing my own color combinations.
Can't say for certain.
There's a jig involved that allows me to cut them thin.You can't just go to a store and by that.........

Beautiful pen and I love your answer to the time question. [:)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Thanks to all who took the time to look and thanks also to those who made comments.
More specifically I would like to address these comments

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />Dude! Eagle. All I can say is inspiring and lovely.
yellowbigeek.gif

James

I never would have thought I would see the words Dude" and lovely in the same sentence, but that's my weird way of thinking. Thanks for the praise.

Originally posted by Mac In Oak Ridge
<br />Neat work Eagle! Can't wait to see the charter and hoops that you have to jump through to join the MPG.

No Charter no hoops only crieria is to attempt something using your own imagination and an attempt at creating without instructions.
You don't have to push the envelope, but a little bit of steaming it open gets you in.(the weirder the better) ."Beauty" counts too.
Thanks.(BTW, no judges, admission is self proclaimed)

Originally posted by Skordog
<br />
Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />
Can't say for certain.
There's a jig involved that allows me to cut them thin.You can't just go to a store and by that.........

Beautiful pen and I love your answer to the time question. [:)]

Thanks and espcially for "getting it"[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom