I turned potential Wall of Shame into DISCOVERIES!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

309477_385602434833161_2077836041_n.jpg

208878_385602528166485_1075630001_n.jpg

Here we have a Firewhatfire blank on a Cigar. I had intended to almost double the length of the top barrel to see what would happen, and I made a goof. Got myself set up with a short tube for the bottom barrel. I caught it in time to swap barrels out after cutting the would-be top barrel down on the bandsaw. It was still too long when I finished, so instead of taking it apart and re-working it, I just figured out a way to stretch a lower tube easily. Turns out you can glue a dowel into the plug in the transmission that's the right length to make everything work right and you're in business. I'm pretty sure an old coat hanger would work just fine. I used a dead Dremel drill bit. Sorry if the blue backdrop makes the pic rougher than usual. It didn't quite work out on a white backdrop.

Drstrangefart

I hope to try this again later when I INTEND to stretch a lower tube out and see if I can replicate this with better results. I'm just happy I found a way to add my own tough to an otherwise great kit.

Drstrangefart

Nice! I like the thought! I will have to use it at some point.

David

Indeed. Just be really careful to keep the thick CA in the center of the plug and off the walls of the inside of the transmission. You don't want to glue the transmission into a frozen position. I think super-fine needle nose pliers will do exactly what you need for getting the rod in there properly. And go sparingly on the glue. The smaller the mess, the better. Accellerator made the greas in the transmission evaporate, so I added a few drops of 3 on 1 oil and it's working pretty smoothly considering this one is not quite the perfect fit. It's close enough to work, though. And remember to test-fit a lot so that when the transmission is in the retracted position the rod doesn't push on the refill any. It needs to just barely touch it as far as I can tell.

Top Bottom