I was in a truestone mood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

Yesterday I got an order for a few truestone pens so once started, I decided to turn a few other blanks that I have never turned and found out that I have a favorite... the banded malachite, 3rd from left.

Comments, pro or con, are welcome.

2008628115846_truestone%20assortment%20open.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

George, The banded malachite is one of my best sellers and LOML's favorite also, glad to see the blue river agate as I've had a couple of the blanks for some time and need to turn them. As to the rest Ho-Hum just your usual great job.

rstought

Passed Away Nov 11, 2016
In Memoriam
I peeked over my husband's shoulder and saw these pens, which really caught my eye (my personal favorites are the Asian Web, Malachite and Pink Coral). I'm curious...do you find that other women like these colors, too?

Mrs.S

IPD_Mrs

George - great looking display and photo. I have to say this is nit picky but the only thing I can see wrong with them is they are missing Lou's <s>nips</s> nibs. :D

Mike

VisExp

That's a great display of pens George! The banded malachite is very nice, but I'm kinda partial to the blues, 2nd and 5th from right.

This may be a dumb question, but having never seen or worked Trustone, are there any transparency isssue with colors like the Pink Coral?

Texatdurango

To answer a few questions;

Mrs.S, I haven't sold that many of these to know which the ladies prefer but the two Asian Coral I have made were purchased by ladies and the turquoise pens are also popular.

Jared, All of the blanks above turn very easy except for the #7 Blue Lapis which is very hard and requires constant sharpening of the tools. I use a 1" roughing gouge and can make two or three passes before sharpening, the same with the skew. I actually prefer working with these blanks over acrylics as they are a pleasure to turn and finish easily. After turning I wet sand with 600 grit, use the novice #3 polish then off to the buffer and that's it.

Mike, I hear you but I don't have that many calls for gold nibs in these smaller pens. I keep a small box full of nibs just in case though!

Keith, No transparancy issues with any of the truestone blanks I have tried to date except the tortoise shell which is like amber. The pink coral coral can be turned thin with no problem. Here is a Sierra I did recently where it matched perfectly with the two tone chrome!

2008628125425_pink%20coral.jpg

For anyone wanting to try truestone, there are a few hard materials to stay away from like the imperial jade and charoite because they are like carving granite! The others like the ones above and the gold veined "matrix" and "web" styles turn as easily as acrylics, actually easier in my opinion!

randyrls

Originally posted by Texatdurango

Yesterday I got an order for a few truestone pens so once started, I decided to turn a few other blanks that I have never turned and found out that I have a favorite... the banded malachite, 3rd from left.

George; Beautifyl set of pens!!!

I like the trustone material as well. The Malachite in a large pen really shows off the material to it's best advantage.

I have a couple blanks of the Banded Ivory and I'm anxious to try them. The banding seems more pronounced than the CSUSA Alternative Ivory.

Did you notice differences in the ease of turning?

I have found the Lapis seems to be much harder than the white and turquoise.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by randyrls

...I like the trustone material as well. The Malachite in a large pen really shows off the material to it's best advantage.

I plan on buying more for sure. I can't wait to see it on an Emperor pen!

....I have a couple blanks of the Banded Ivory and I'm anxious to try them. The banding seems more pronounced than the CSUSA Alternative Ivory.

Did you notice differences in the ease of turning?

I never tried any of the Craft Supply blanks. At their prices, they can keep them. [:0]

...I have found the Lapis seems to be much harder than the white and turquoise.

Yep, the lapis is a little harder but still doable in a few minutes with a skew. The hardest I have encountered are the imperial jade, charoite and one other who's name eludes me but was a dark blue with bronze veins, thought I would never get that one done!

randbcrafts

Hey George, Beautiful set of pens as always. I'm sure those will sell for you very quickly.

The one you struggled with was the Chilean Lapis. That one was a real bear but a really cool color. I'm working on getting some of the harder blanks like the chilean lapis and jade in a softer version so it won't take all day to turn. :)

Keep up the nice work. Your picture taking skills are excellent as well.

bitshird

George, those are some outrageously beautiful pens, I have some of the non pliabe Ivory and It's a bear to turn, it's pretty, but it's hard, I sent a couple pieces to Ed, he'll love it Heh Heh [8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

IPD_Mrs

George not the 18k gold nib but the simi-flex steel nibs. These write so much better than the stock nibs from the kits. These go on all our FPs. I think it is worth the $4 to avoid a possible complaint on how they write. Actually what is really neat is when a customer starts with the stock nib and replace it with the SF nib. Talk about happy people! As for the 18k, well we don't live around a bunch of politicians so no real demand. [:0]

At any rate it is still a great looking display! [^]

Mike

Dan_F

That's a really beautiful set of pens George. Have you tried a "kitless" pen with Truestone using the tap and die set? I wonder how brittle it is, whether it would stand being dropped without shattering (without the brass tubes to hold it together)?

I'm going to have to try some of these.

Dan

Dan_F

That's a really beautiful set of pens George. Have you tried a "kitless" pen with Truestone using the tap and die set? I wonder how brittle it is, whether it would stand being dropped without shattering (without the brass tubes to hold it together)?

I'm going to have to try some of these. My favorites are 1,3,and 6.

Dan

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Dan_F

That's a really beautiful set of pens George. Have you tried a "kitless" pen with Truestone using the tap and die set?
I've done several and they thread well, even the nib jackets. Unfortunately I sold all of them so can't tell you how they are holding up but have heard no complaints from the customers.

I put a few photos in my photo album.

randyrls

Originally posted by Texatdurango

Yep, the lapis is a little harder but still doable in a few minutes with a skew. The hardest I have encountered are the imperial jade, charoite and one other who's name eludes me but was a dark blue with bronze veins, thought I would never get that one done!

Azurite (dark blue with bronze veins) is the one I was thinking of... It is hard as woodpecker lips!

I made two Sierras out of one Azurite blank. The blank is JUST long enough to cut two pen blanks with nothing left over!

The Jade blanks are one my "to buy" list.....

Top Bottom