I thought I would try something a little different...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sandsini

Sandsini

When I first saw the Jr George component set in Antique Silver, I was inspired to make a distressed pen to match. Since I live at the beach, I wanted something that would fit in with the weathered beachy furniture that is popular here.

I made this one out of curly maple, then applied acrylic paint in 3 layers: Black, Sea Foam Green and Teal Blue. Then I sanded back to the wood in several areas, sealed it with CA, then lightly sanded the gloss off of the finish.

This was a really different process for me, as I generally try to make perfect, glossy pens. I have held onto this one a while to determine if I actually like it, and it's been growing on me.

What do you think?

Attachments

• DSC00616.jpg
    DSC00616.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC00619.jpg
    DSC00619.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC00621.jpg
    DSC00621.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC00622.jpg
    DSC00622.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC00618.jpg
    DSC00618.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 275
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Eric,
A unique finish on this pen! I agree that linear sanding could help the final appearance.
This reminds me of a patina as in copper patina.

Let's see some more of these!

KenV

The approach is a traditional one with furniture, especially Windsor chairs and milk paint.

If the sanding through was more subtle, without the radial lines and better shading between coats, the,effect could be spectacular.

A technique that shows promise.

CREID

I like the colours . My only suggestion would be to do the last bit of paint removal sanding lengthwise with the grain so it looks a bit more natural .
I was going to say the exact same thing. To me it looks like sanding marks around the blank. Great idea, I like the distressed idea.
Curt

Sandsini

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think you are right, it needs to be more linear, with the grain and I should have taken more time to preserve each layer... I'm going to try it again and see what I can do with this.

mecompco

The pen looks great--I love the concept. Now that others have pointed it out, I guess the distressing of the finish could look a little more "natural". Great concept!

Regards,
Michael

Top Bottom