I think i'm getting a hang of the skew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from epigolucky

epigolucky

A couple from this weekend. All of these were turned by my skew.

Artisti (sp?) cigar
Inlace acrylester gatsby
Black & White acrylic Rollester
PSW Classic FP in Green dyed box elder burl

C&C please and thank you!

-adam

Attachments

• 15 - 1.jpg
    15 - 1.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 311
  • 15 - 3.jpg
    15 - 3.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 328
  • 15 - 4.jpg
    15 - 4.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 292
  • 15 - 5.jpg
    15 - 5.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 281
  • 15 - 6.jpg
    15 - 6.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 273
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LeeR

Good job, nice looking pens! How was it turning that inlace acrylester with your skew?

It turns so much better with a very sharp skew! I didn't have a single tear out like I have when I used the roughing gouge or carbide. thanks!

I decided to make napkin rings for Christmas gifts to a few in our family (6 sets, or 24 rings!). I decided that project would be my chance to try to overcome my fear of that skew that was lurking in my tool rack.

For me, the best video on mastering the skew is the following, called The Skew Made Easy, by Brendan Stemp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMIwqFDMIhA

Once you get the hang of a skew, and have it correctly sharpened, it is a magical thing. I've never had finished cuts with a carbide tool that can compare to a good skew turning. I will often use the carbide tool to hog out the basic shape, but finish with a skew. I'm still learning but this video helped me gain enough confidence to want to use the skew whenever I can.

I have also resisted changing my planer to carbide cutterhead. I really like the smooth cuts I get with HSS knives.

Top Bottom