I think I improved the color distribution on the 3 color cast.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

249660_410494665677271_1490991365_n.jpg

375874_410494742343930_1855012294_n.jpg

300299_410494859010585_1460967295_n.jpg

After the last 3 color went pretty well, I decided to test my theory that the gold just set up really fast, goobering up the color distribution. I think I was right. I played with the tint on these 3 colors until they were roughly the same shade just different colors. I did the same stacked pour, one color at a time filling about 1/6 of the mold each time, and straight into the center. I also let them thicken a little more than last time to try to keep good color separation. I LOVE how this turned out, and I hope to get some interesting results later on once I get my hands on more colors of pigment.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

:wink::wink: Colors blended much more evenly than the first two. Great balance between the top and bottom barrels. Very,very,very unique cast. Great craftsmanship. Jim S

BSea

Yes, I think you have it. Now as long as you never change colors, you're all set. :wink:

Oh, and don't change temperature where you mix.

Oh, and see if you can keep the humidity the same.

Oh, and make sure you use the exact same ratio of resin to mica powder.

Oh, and don't change sources for MEKP or resin.

Other than that, You're all set.:good:

EDIT: BTW, you really did a good job with the blank.

Drstrangefart

Yes, I think you have it. Now as long as you never change colors, you're all set. :wink:

Oh, and don't change temperature where you mix.

Oh, and see if you can keep the humidity the same.

Oh, and make sure you use the exact same ratio of resin to mica powder.

Oh, and don't change sources for MEKP or resin.

Other than that, You're all set.:good:

EDIT: BTW, you really did a good job with the blank.

Thanks! That's both hilarious and true. We're casting indoors with a good heating source for the mold and resin. Hopefully this is very repeatable.

ToddMR

Nice work on the casting. I am still trying to do two colors well lol. I think things would vastly improve if I got a vertical mold. I have barely used any of my gallon of PR. I should go out and cast some now lol. Sorry for going off on some thoughts lol. I think you are doing a fine job on casting blanks for sure.

Drstrangefart

Nice work on the casting. I am still trying to do two colors well lol. I think things would vastly improve if I got a vertical mold. I have barely used any of my gallon of PR. I should go out and cast some now lol. Sorry for going off on some thoughts lol. I think you are doing a fine job on casting blanks for sure.

Thanks! And if you wanna cast horizontally for best effect, I've found that if you cast it a bit thicker than needed and really pile it in there you can cherry pick the best parts out after it cures. Then you can shatter the leftovers into tiny bits and re-cast them in clear for a cool mosaiac effect.

Top Bottom