I still hate walnut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hilltopper46

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilltopper46

Even after doing 20 pens from woodwork out of an old house that was torn down.

20071081637_Pen165B.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

Frank wrote
Mind saying how you finished them?

I used a CA/BLO finish on 18 of the 20. Was still learning and relearning right up until the end, when I did the last several with sanding sealer, then a few drops of BLO, then CA built up and scrubbed off until it was shiny.

There are two pairs of blanks in the coffee can where I <s>keep</s> throw my failures. On both of those I tried the 'make a slurry of CA and sanding dust' technique and on both of those I ended up with blotches that were still there after taking the finish off and starting over - twice.

The other two were my first attempt at enduro. I like appearance of the oil finish better.

nwcatman

CORRECTION....i meant to say whats the technique used. i do mostly mesquite blanks and would sure like to try the CA/BLO finish on em. thanks.

mikegibs

Originally posted by nwcatman
<br />CORRECTION....i meant to say whats the technique used. i do mostly mesquite blanks and would sure like to try the CA/BLO finish on em. thanks.

There are several posting on how to do a CA finish. You can find by doing a search. What works for me is to coat with BLO - boiled linseed oil - first. Then start build up of CA Glue using Medium viscosity. I believe others use thick. Wipe of CA the a couple drops of BLO on paper towel and burnish in like you would with any friction finish. Keep moving towel and after a few mess ups you should get it correct...

Mike G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom