I really like this Holly!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MDWine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWine

It can be a bit fussy to sand, ya gotta be careful, but it sure is pretty!
Cigar-Holly-04.jpg

The kit is a black-TN cigar... forgot to tell ya. Purty, ain't it? I decided to do this Cigar after doing (and salvaging) a Holly slimline!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

Thanks everyone. Yes, I REALLY like the holly... A LOT! [:D]
This one is done in Deft spray lacquer, about 6 or 8 coats. The key is keeping my mitts off of it until the finish has time to cure properly... 4 or 5 days.

It buffed out with MM real nice, a bit of TSW and some REN, it was almost too slick to handle! I am, however, looking forward to making another, and trying the Enduro. I'm thinking of trying to spray the Enduro with an air brush!

... did I tell ya that I really like the Holly? [:D] [:p] [:D] [;)]

airrat

nice pen gratZ. With holly does it turn yellow if you let it sit before turning? or can it turn yellow over time after? Not sure if I read it somewhere or someone told me.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Jim, that was a 4-5 day curing period after the last coat was applied... of course if you have all the time in the world you can do it your way too.. [}:)][:p]

JimGo

LOL...thanks Tom. I have been telling myself that I need to be more patient and to try some other finishes, but I was about to write off Michael's approach; that would have been over a month for that finish, and I don't know that I am THAT patient yet! I thought that a month sounded a little excessive, but then I kept telling myself that Michael HAD been talking about doing this set for a few months now... Glad to see it coming together so well.

Kevin Glover

Very nice pen. What sanding techniques did you use to maintain whiteness? That seems to be my difficulty with lighter woods.....to agressive or wrong abrasives, or both. Anyway, it's a beauty. Kevin

elody21

Beautiful Pen!!! For a very girly pen Holly goes very well with pink ivory![:X]

MDWine

OK, the finish:
After a coat of Deft Sanding Sealer, I used Deft gloss, 6 coats over two or three days, then 4-5 days to final cure.

I took off high spots with a VERY LIGHT pass of 0000 steel wool, then started with 4000MM up to the final 8000MM. (I don't know the MM numbers very well, standard 'pack' of MM tho)

I followed the MM with TSW, one day cure, then a coat of REN to finish.

I didn't do anything "special" to sand the holly, other than avoid the bushings. I went from 150 (to remove tool marks), 220, 320, 400, 600, 800.

That's it! Thanks for your kind words.

MDWine

Airrat... haven't heard anything about it turning yellow.
The blanks I have left over have been with me for a few months, and are still snow white. I used sanding sealer on the Cigar pen, and it kept the color nicely.

MDWine

I have gotten blanks from BB at AZ, but these are smaller blanks, not a full 3/4" or large blank. I was able to get a larger blank, for this Holly pen, from "Wayneis". I don't know if BB can get larger pieces, but would be interested in finding some! I would love to do a small bowl or liddex box!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom