I made my first segmented pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Earl_J13

Earl_J13

I used white oak, walnut and wenge to make the blank and used a satin gold slimline kit. I think it turned out pretty nice for still being new at pen turning. It's my best finish with CA so far. I still need a little more practice with getting the ends to match up perfectly with the hardware, I can still feel a slight edge, maybe 1/64" or less but I am seeing progress.
I used a caliper this time instead of relying on the bushings. I'm open for tips to help me get that perfect pen.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The pen looks GREAT!

Tips... Do 20 more. :tongue: From what I see, you have very good skills. Using calipers will greatly improve the fit, but you will get better after practice.

I use calipers all the time, and frequently take the blank off of the mandrel (using a mandrel saver) and measure it closely as I approach being slightly proud of the needed diameter. As you sand, the first few grits will bring you down to the exact diameter (if you are not too aggressive).

Not sure how you are milling the ends, but I will suggest a sanding jig (many varieties) on the lathe rather than a barrel trimmer.

Have FUN! and welcome to IAP.

Last edited:

OZturner

Excellent Segmenting Rob,
I agree with Mark's comments, Practice,Calipers, Turn Slightly Proud, then Sand to Finished Dimension.
Great Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom