I left the pimp stone alone this time....for now!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Here's another variation of my take on an opal blank. This one is more opaque so I didn't rely on reverse painting (even though I did just in case!). I'm hunting for a real opal to set in the clip, but i wanted to go ahead and put everything together first. Just like the other opal blank I did a couple days ago, this one was just as big a pain in the rear to get a decent photograph of. You can kinda make out the irredescence of colors in the blank (another 7 colors). Finish is MM to 12000 and PlastX plolish. Thanks for looking!

100_2156625x700.jpg
100_2168641x700.jpg

And a closeup:
100_2161700x650.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

You're doing some truly amazing work Jonathon and I can't wait to see what you send Ed and Dawn. I hope you keep a couple on the side for me!!!

Take care and best wishes

mrburls

Another nice pen Jonathon. Blank looks super. I'm becoming a big fan of this kit lately. I need to order more from PSI again.

Keith "mrburls"

Brooks803

Thanks Everyone!

G'day Brooks803,

You're making some nice stuff with your pouring's, mate.

How many blanks do you normally do per batch...??? or you only do one at the time...???:)

Cheers
George

Thanks George,
I have single cavity molds that I had Fred (ptownsubbie:good:) custom make for me so I can pour just 1 or I can mix enough resin to fill up to 6 per mold. When I do an experimental blank I typically just do 1 and record my results. I've done 2 opal-like pens so far with different blanks. The first one I mixed my 7 colors with clear resin to see how "deep" I could make it (seen here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79800) This pen is from the second blank (poured at the same time, same 7 colors) and was made much more opaque to see if it would intensify the colors. I'm still debating which one I prefer, but I did get the results I was expecting.

Another nice pen Jonathon. Blank looks super. I'm becoming a big fan of this kit lately. I need to order more from PSI again.

Keith "mrburls"

Thanks Keith! Another good source for these kits is from the golden nib.

wizard

Jonathan, That is a gorgeous and elegant pen. There is not only an depth and iridescence to the resin, there is a most definite opalescence to it. That blank and components go together beautifully and you chose well. You are truly making some awesome blanks!!!!!!!!Not sure I would change the crystal though.. Regards, Doc

arw01

Truly a gifted bit of casting.

Have you looked into "fluorescing" white to reverse paint the blank with? The same type of white pigments that paper makers use to bring their paper past the 85 or so "briteness" range? They "convert" light, in the just above human site range, down to blue, which causes the paper to appear whiter to our eyes than normal.

It may be an interesting effect if you can find a compatible paint.

Top Bottom