I know, I know...it's not a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ilikewood

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikewood

Yup, it's not a pen, but I really liked this one. Daniel made me a nice aluminum jig that made turning the 11" tall maple burl peppergrinder a breeze. Just a little wandering from the pen world.

By the way, I used an epoxy undercoat and then lacquered for a final finish.

20052851920_P1010009.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom McMillan

WOW, Bill----that's absolutely beautiful!!! Great work----and great of Daniel for his help with the jig!!! Gee, I have several peppermill kits---really want to make one---but, not sure if I'll have enough clearance on my lathe.

melogic

Great job Bill. Where did you get the kit for the peppermill? I have been considering doing some peppermills, but I wanted to know who would be the best to purchase from. Who has the best instructions for the peppermill?

ilikewood

I would recommend the CSUSA deluxe kits only (shown). I have used a few of the others and this is the easiest and nicest of the kits. The cost is a bit higher, but considering how good they work, it is worth it.

The only drawback to this kit vs. some of the others is that you need to counterbore on of the ends to 1 1/16" to fit the mechanism. You could just bore it all the way through with 1 1/16" too, but it is much easier to find and wear out 1" bits. I use forstner bits with an extention and drill press. Oh, by the way, you will need a 1 5/8" bit as well to recess the mechanism.

I believe Daniel just sent an article off to be published on this jig, so we should have some good info very soon.

Sell them? This one is a gift, but I haven't tried real hard to sell them yet, but the ones I have made went fast.

melogic

Thanks Bill. I've been looking at the ones from CSUSA and I like those. I'm like you, I don't mind paying a little more for a better quality kit. As a friend of mine always says "For a nickle more you can go First Class". I would definitely be interested in seeing the jig. Where did you get your extension for the forstner bit?

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Really nice looking peppermill Bill, and great looking wood also..

..I bought one of Woodcrafts kits at Christmas time and still haven't had time to turn it..hope it comes even close to looking as nice as your..

..Daniel, can you push us a copy of your article, or if its in the publisher's hands please let us know which magazine and when...

JimGo

Hmmm, I have some nice blocks at home that might look good as pepper mills...thanks for the idea!

BTW, someone, I think it was PSI, is carrying salt mills too. For those who haven't tried it, fresh ground sea salt tastes MUCH better than the standard Morton's, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom