I just Can't Help Myself

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Gary Max

This makes no sense at all but every time I turn Cocobolo I break out with a rash------and I still keep making them??????????
It's all this guy's fault----- JohnM's Private Stash
He has the very best Cocobolo I have ever seen.:biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_1496.jpg
    IMG_1496.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

junosdad

Indeed some nice stock, and nice work on the pen. I'm so very thankful that I haven't yet developed a similar allergy. I'll share the story of a friend who discovered that he doesn't get along with Cocobolo the hard way. Paul was making something out of Cocobolo. Paul went to recycle his morning coffee. Paul later discovered that he is allergic to Cocobolo.

Let's all be glad that we're not Paul.

Does this reaction of Pauls make his wife happy? If so, dont tell my wife.
If I dont wear a mask, I gat swelling around my eyes so bad that the bridge of my nose disappears.

Indeed some nice stock, and nice work on the pen. I'm so very thankful that I haven't yet developed a similar allergy. I'll share the story of a friend who discovered that he doesn't get along with Cocobolo the hard way. Paul was making something out of Cocobolo. Paul went to recycle his morning coffee. Paul later discovered that he is allergic to Cocobolo.

Let's all be glad that we're not Paul.

Last edited:

jasontg99

Gary,

Beautiful pen. I agree, JohnM has the best cocobolo I have ever seen. Sorry to hear about the reaction. However, if I was turning out pens like that, I would do it too, reaction or not.

Last edited:

Gary Max

The rash only last for a couple days-----I don't turn any Cocobolo in the summer---the heat really sets it off. This started about 4 years ago up until then I never got the rash.Three years ago I had a special order for a couple of pens made from Cocobolo in Aug-----that really cost both the customer and me. I had to do a four day show without scratching that itch.

KenBrasier

Gary'Great looking grain and pen. I love Cocobolo, and would continue to turn it even if I had a reaction to it. Are you OK with it once it is turned and has a finish on it?

robutacion

It's the very fine dust that gets me.

Hi Gary,

Yeah, those reactions are nasty...!:frown:

One thing that is simple to do and very effective to most people that I know have tried it is, a new normal everyday cheap dust musk, adjust the nose straps as tight as you can then pour a bit a dishwasher detergent into water container (2kg ice cream container is good) mix it and soak the dust musk in it. Give if a shake and you're ready to stop those "nasty" fine dust particles to get into your lungs...!

If the reaction to the fine dust, affects the eyes, the only effective thing is underwater goggles...!:eek:

The problem with those allergies is that, when you start becoming affected, the things will only get worse if you don't avoid direct contact with the cause!

Cheers
George

bitshird

Great Pen Gary, Sorry about the rash, I've never turned any Cocobolo I guess I'm going to have to find out if I;m allergic to it, that is some pretty wood.

Bree

It's a lovely pen and you definitely have the Coco Madness... no doubt about that. But does JohnM have the best Coco around??? Well you haven't seen mine!! I have some absolutely KILLER Coco. I haven't milled it because I like to look at it!! Some of it could only have been dreamed up by Mother Nature being on an LSD trip!!!
:eek::eek::eek:

Top Bottom