I hit the BASH jackpot!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
This year's BASH was my first and I was honored to finish 2nd in the Creative Mug Contest. That alone was quite a thrill, but one of my prizes was a custom watch parts pen from Mike Hirsch (Indiana_Parrothead) which was beyond anything I could have ever hoped for.

Mike gave me a wide range of options for my prize, including my choice of blanks for any single or double barrel kit and a variety of watch themes & colors. I asked him if it would be possible to make a University of Houston blank and he said, "Sure, if we can find a watch dial". So we both scrounged the Internet & found some UH watches on Amazon & ebay. I ordered one & had it drop shipped to Mike and he worked his magic from there.

I knew that I wanted to use a Triton kit from ExoticBlanks for this project, but I couldn't decide if I wanted a fountain pen or rollerball, so I finally went with a convertible. Since this was my first time to work with an epoxy cast blank, Mike was kind enough to throw in a Sierra-sized carbon fiber blank for me to practice on. I put that on a Smitty's LeRoi Elegant Royale Blk Chr/Chr pen.

This has been a really fun 3-month project including our search for just the right UH watch, many emails & PMs with Mike, selecting the kits and finally turning the blanks & assembling the pens. Mike has been extremely patient with me and I have really learned a lot during this project in addition to having loads of fun & making a new friend. Plus, I now have two really awesome pens in my collection.

Mike really outdid himself on this one - these are undoubtedly high-end watch parts blanks with at least 30 individual watch parts in each of the two Triton blanks. The parts are beautifully arranged and perfectly cast - there's not a single visible air bubble or flaw anywhere in the blanks. My pen photography is still a work in progress, so these photos don't do justice to the beauty of these pens, but I hope you like them -- I sure do.:biggrin:

Edgar

Attachments

• Both.jpg
    Both.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 334
  • UH4.jpg
    UH4.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 208
  • UH3.jpg
    UH3.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 206
  • UH2.jpg
    UH2.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 173
  • UH1.jpg
    UH1.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 136
  • CF1.jpg
    CF1.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 178
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Very nice work Edgar, you did a great job of turning these pens. I have never seen anyone spend this much time on turning a pen and enjoying more than Edgar has this one. I think part of his enjoyment was giving me updates on his progress in bits and pieces. I told him he was like a good preacher that gaves you just enough to keep you coming back each week for more.

You were fun to work with on this Edgar and glad you enjoyed it.

Mike

Edward Cypher

Beautiful pens!! You really did score well at the BASH!! And Mike Hirsch did an awesome job on that watch blank, such nice customizing. Congrats to both of you.

elkhorn

Great work, Edgar! Fantastic job on both pens. Mike, as always, outstanding pen blanks.

Top Bottom